Wood shelves in bathroom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

If I were to build some wood counter and shelves in the bathroom, what kind of wood would be good to use?

I would guess I would need to varnish it after to protect it anyway.

The bath panel and the side bit holding ups the counter would be MR MDF then painted.

Chees
A

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 12.56.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 12.56.47.png
    422.5 KB · Views: 0
Everything that looks wood coloured in the photo I would like varnished wood of some sort so I won't be painting those

OK so then you could use pretty much any wood you choose as long as it is sealed from the moisture, Hard wood such as Oak- Sapele-Iroko etc would be my preferred choice choice :)

Everything that looks wood coloured in the photo I would like varnished wood of some sort so I won't be painting those
Whatever wood you use you will have to have a completely waterproof covering on it. I used Osmo Polyx on some pieces of woodwork in the bathroom recently. Worked really well for a sink countertop and windowsill, but did not do too well with a shelf at the end of the shower / bath that ended up almost permanently wet. If the worst comes to the worst, you can paint with a clear epoxy and that should withstand any amount of water.

I have an African Rosewood shelf in my bathroom - yacht varnish and so far no issues - sits behind the sink and has razors etc. drying on it every day - no issues.

I found this varnish which seemed to cover all the bases - Polyvine Heavy Duty Extreme Varnish | Quick-drying Varnish

Just need to find the wood for the shelf but might just go with some oak I have kicking about.

As for the panel with the red arrow. I was going to double layer 25mm MR MDF and just paint it but is that a bad idea? Could the edges get chipped or should I strengthen it somehow or do this a whole other way?

Cheers of the help guys

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 22.41.28.png

Hi

If I were to build some wood counter and shelves in the bathroom, what kind of wood would be good to use?

I would guess I would need to varnish it after to protect it anyway.

The bath panel and the side bit holding ups the counter would be MR MDF then painted.

Chees
A
Hi, Azk404.

In the bathroom I´d use PVC panel. No protection for humidity is required. A HPL layer to match with the existing finish.

Not sure it would be what you want to do but for my bath panel and the raised shower base I used the same flooring boards and ran them up in the same lines as the floor so it kind of looks like they have risen out of the floor. works really well for me as it all matches instead of some random plastic panel or something. Also saved me a fair bit as I find bath panels very expensive for what they are and the flooring was just the extra boards I already had.

My window is surrounded by pine which is right next to the bath and it is just stained and varnished. I've had to refinish the lower board/sill once in the last 6 or so years.

When choosing wood, think about grain orientation. Vertical grain will be pretty stable, any wood where you can see curves in the end grain will probably cup like mad with the humidity unless encased in epoxy.

I don’t really want to use plastic, not my thing tbh 😅

The floor boards sound like a nice touch but I’m not doing the floor on this round so sticking with the tiles we have.

I did have the thought of sandwiching 2 layers of 18mm OSB (or maybe marine ply) with 6mm of MR MDF (mainly as il be using a similar approach for the long bath panel) and then protecting it all but I wasn’t sure how I could protect the ends. Is there a type of bathroom micro cement or other spreadable thing I can cover the top part to make water right and ready for painting at all? Or any other method to cover that can withstand some water splash and is paintable? Plaster?

I could just use more MR MDF but I want to try and get that curve.

Maybe I can try and make my own curvable MR MDF using the 6mm which is readily available? 🤔

85B2E5C9-DDB7-48DB-AE29-80DE97883D32.jpeg

E

Last edited:
Back