Wood screw sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveS

Reaction score
I'm trying to locate some brass wood screws, but they are listed as a guage sizes (0, 1, 2 ...) on various supplier websites.

Does anyone have any idea how guage sizes translate to imperial measurements.

My screw sizes are as follows

Diameter Length
1/16" 3/8"
3/64" 1/4"

Thanks
Steve

Thats extreamly thin screws!! About 1.5- 1 mm ....they would sheer as soon as you put any force on the screwdriver.

Are you measuring the diameter of the upper shank of the screw or in the valley of the threads?

Given that these size screws will have very little holding ability I would suggest you go for small machine screws. 10 & 12 BA would be about right and will hold just as well into wood. It may take a bit of experiment to get the hole sized right and will depend somewhat on the hardness of the timber. You may want to run a steel screw in first or if its a very hard wood like maple even a tap would get you started.

EKP are good for screws.

J

Thanks all for your replies and comments.

I restore musical instruments built in England between 1840 and 1940 and as such imperial-sized wood screws were used. The sizes I quoted are overall dimensions taken from original screws unsed in an instrument I have on my bench right now.

Often to get an instrument apart, the wood screws are either rusted up or the heads previously damaged that they can not be saved. I'd like to replace these screws with equivalents if possible.

Steve

What sort of quantities are you looking for Steve?
I have some very small(tiny really) brass screws in my 'must keep these box' , are you looking for csk or roundhaed or just screws in general?

xy

Latest posts

Back