Wood punch branding tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am asking just out of curiosity. Today many people have special wood-burning stamps for their branding on furniture. However, on older furniture, I have seen many times the name of the manufacturer, which has been punched.
1639690825329.png

Is this done by punching individual letters that are perfectly aligned or a single stamping iron is made and this signature can be punched all at once? I assume that the signature is small, so it might be punched all at once. Can you please tell me the proper name for this iron stamp, i.e. how to look it up on the internet and if it is still being produced? I can only find individual letters, but I have not found a service that will produce my name/brand as a single punch.

Once I hand plane a board flat and true, with a sense of pride and accomplishment, I can then punch my name on it :)

Thank you.

You could you single letter metal stamps but for a neater/more professional look a one piece would be better, just google hand made to order metal stamps there are loads of options for you to choose from :)
Cheap option is to make up holder so you can use single letters ,wedged in snugly into a hardwood block, easy and cheap to do plus you can alter your wording if you wish . you would need to check the wedge before each wack with the nocking stick just in case :eek:

Last edited:
I requested a quote for a small 9 character custom punch with font Arial 12pt size (letters are just above 3 mm high). The punch area is 12x25 mm. The price without shipment was just under 40 EUR. However I got another quote for 160 EUR for the same thing. I have already ordered from the cheaper manufacturer. They were both quoted locally in Slovakia, to in the U.K prices might be different.

Has anyone seen a supplier of individual single letter steel stamps please? I just want about 9 different letters (I'll be using manual positioning and hitting with a hammer) - about 7 or 8mm high, all uppercase.

Has anyone seen a supplier of individual single letter steel stamps please? I just want about 9 different letters (I'll be using manual positioning and hitting with a hammer) - about 7 or 8mm high, all uppercase.
The full sets are really cheap

You will find it quite difficult to get a really neat result with stamped characters, not least because they inevitably raise the metal or wood around the edges. For a really neat appearance you are much better off getting them engraved or carved.

You will find it quite difficult to get a really neat result with stamped characters, not least because they inevitably raise the metal or wood around the edges. For a really neat appearance you are much better off getting them engraved or carved.

At the 8mm sort of size on wood they're not too bad with a little bit of post-punching sanding. [I do have a mini-CNC machine which would engrave but despite having for about 8 months I've yet to find time to learn how to drive it! So far it has a nice plywood case to store it in - using oddments of materiial]

Isn't it possible to use a card scraper to finish the surface after stamping? I have seen many neat stamps in the past, so it must have been done somehow.

Have you looked at www.hamilton-rand.co.uk I inherited a good few wooden hand planes that had my grandfather and great grandfathers names stamp on them and thought it would be fun to add my name on them as well. I think it cost me £100 for the stamp and it produces pretty much the result in your photo.

Have you looked at www.hamilton-rand.co.uk I inherited a good few wooden hand planes that had my grandfather and great grandfathers names stamp on them and thought it would be fun to add my name on them as well. I think it cost me £100 for the stamp and it produces pretty much the result in your photo.
Thank you for the site link. However, I have already ordered my stamp.

Hello,

I am asking just out of curiosity. Today many people have special wood-burning stamps for their branding on furniture. However, on older furniture, I have seen many times the name of the manufacturer, which has been punched.
View attachment 124388

Is this done by punching individual letters that are perfectly aligned or a single stamping iron is made and this signature can be punched all at once? I assume that the signature is small, so it might be punched all at once. Can you please tell me the proper name for this iron stamp, i.e. how to look it up on the internet and if it is still being produced? I can only find individual letters, but I have not found a service that will produce my name/brand as a single punch.

Once I hand plane a board flat and true, with a sense of pride and accomplishment, I can then punch my name on it :)

Thank you.
Chalco stamps they ones suitablefor both metal and iron, not cheap but quality

Back