wood polishing(pens)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesbones

Established Member
Reaction score
which is the best way to polish wood in paticular and acrylic in pen making . Are polishing mops with tripoli compound g52 the best or micromesh? hut crystal polish hut acrylic or as something better come on the market I cant think of a better way of finding out than asking you dedicated woodworkers I know this will have been asked before but you never can tell cheers jonesbones

My wood pens I finish with BLO/CA finish after sanding to 600grit and my acrylic pens I sand wet down to 12,000grit no need to polish after that. The only thing I do is give both a coat of Microcrystalline wax.
I do not use my buffing system to finish them. Others may use different finishes on theirs

HERE is an acrylic/polyester pen I did recently

Exactly the same as Derek though I sometimes take the wood depending on hardness (lig vi for example) down to 1200g and I rarely use blo with the ca.
I do sometimes spray on a couple of coats of acrylic sanding sealer before the ca if the wood has an open grain like oak.

Back