Wood Plugs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to hide the screws im going to use to attach the seat of chair to the base using wooden plugs. I've never used these before and so wondered if someone could outline what I will need and how the to go about the whole process.

3 things

1. cutters to make the plugs - the obvious thing
2. something to enable you to cut these accurately and with control over the cutting - pillar drill is ideal
3. something to cut the hole that you have set your screws in - clean cut and, of course, the matching size to the plug that is cut. Forstner bit works well. Ideally used in the pillar drill again...

Thanks.
I was thinking of buying the plugs ready made as I don't have alot of the equipment needed.

You don't need cutters. Just cut out the plugs as near as you can with a saw or whatever, then reduce them to the diameter with a sharp chisel. Then tap them in - if too tight trim a bit more. Then tap them in again with glue, and trim off (chisel, plane, sandpaper) the excess when the glue is dry.

Colarris":ppjctlfy said:
I want to hide the screws im going to use to attach the seat of chair to the base using wooden plugs. I've never used these before and so wondered if someone could outline what I will need and how the to go about the whole process.

If you're really stuck PM me and I'll send you a few tapered ones gratis.

I have a set (Drill and cutter) of the Diston ones, though I understand the Veritas are better?

Used them on some outside stuff in oak (see avatar) and got some differential shrinkage - in that the plugs are now slightly proud. Not really a problem - it just adds to the character?

Rod

RogerP":19566mn7 said:
If you're really stuck PM me and I'll send you a few tapered ones gratis.

Many thanks Roger. As I dont know the size of screw Im going to use yet Im not sure what size plugs Im going to need at the
moment.

....and thanks Alf, thats exactly what Im after ;)

One other point. The wood I want to use the plugs on is only 2 cm in depth, is that enough wood to take a screw and a plug??

more than enough - it's all a matter of scale and even 'thin' wood is fine with small screws and plugs.

Thanks for all the advice. Just to clear things up and to clarify I would have to first drill pilot hole for screw, drill counter sink then secure screw, cut plug from waste, push in plug, cut flush, finish! Did I miss anything?

Some drill bits will allow you to cut both the larger counterbore and the clearance hole for the screw thread in one hit. If not, you'll often find it easier to drill the larger, stopped hole, first of all. You can then use the centre point left behind to follow through with the smaller bit. After that, depending on your application, you may also need to drill a small pilot hole (narrower than the screw's diameter) to prevent splitting. Otherwise, your scheme of work sounds fine. Just don't try to use an imperial plug cutter with metric drills, or vice-versa.

Got all necessary bits of equipment but its not working too well at all. The plug cutter doesn't seem to want to go very far into the wood and the tiny piece of plug it does actually cut slants to one side. I've secured everything to the workplace with clamps but that doesnt make any differance. Whats going wrong?

Oh dear, schoolboy error alert!!! :roll: I just worked out why it wasn't cutting so well, the drill was set in reverse!!!! :oops:

I adjusted correctly and it worked like a dream. #-o

Thanks for all the advice, I'll get my coat now!! :?

Back