Wood I.D - Possibly Teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spragnut

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, been viewing this site for a while but first time posting.

I'm in need of some help identifying some wood I was given.

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

I was told it may be Teak but I'm relatively new to woodworking so I'm not sure. It's heavy, very heavy. Unfortunately before I realised what it was I'd cut the larger pieces into sections to help with moving it.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

Cheers

James

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 146
Teak, if that is a freshly cut edge, a freshly cut Iroko edge will be much lighter.

Pete

Interesting thank you so far.

That was cut on Saturday so relatively new, is there an easy way to know for sure what species it is?

I'll try and get some better pictures tonight and I'll clean the face up some more and do some fresh cuts and will post them later or tomorrow.

Cheers

James

Afrormosia might be another possibility - it's about the same weight and appearance as teak, but doesn't have quite the same blunting effect on cutters. It's not so commonly available these days, as (like teak) it's a junglewood that's been overexploited in some parts of the world.

Managed to do some fresh cuts this evening, I'm not sure if the following pictures will give any more clues.

IMG_2058.JPG

Face grain quickly sanded so image is of fresh timber.

IMG_2061.JPG

Cut on mitre saw, cut piece on right, compared to old cut of several months. Colour was almost the same, maybe ever so slightly lighter.

IMG_2056.JPG

Different angle of end grain.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 69
Looks like a wood I used once, Hydua, was one name it went under or could be Afrormosia if not teak.

Thank you for the replies, does anyone know of a service/person that I could send a sample to for identification?

I'd like to be sure what it is before I decide what to do with it.

Cheers

James

Latest posts

Back