wood finish ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treefella83":2iq2k3xn said:
does any one know what wood finish i can use for a cup to hold hot liquids ?

You could try this or an epoxy.

Perhaps someone like Argee who uses it regularly will be along to confirm that it will stand the abuse.

Old wooden tankards did not have any treatment as far as I'm aware, but could split if they were not coopered.

argee

i am interested in how you use the epoxy for a finish. i have used 2 part eppoxy for filling and inlays but what type do you use for a finish, what way are you applying it. what way do you buy it and from whom ?

thanks

geoff_tulip":mbe2tivp said:
argee

i am interested in how you use the epoxy for a finish.
Sorry, Geoff, wrong end of stick - I regularly use the Rustins Plastic coating, Chas' first link, which is also a two-part application, with base coat and catalyst that are mixed in a specific ratio.

Ray.

Hello!
What exactly do you mean by hot liquids? Something you are going to eat ( soup ) or drink ( tea, coffee )? In this case I would never use epoxy or other chemical stuff. Just oil the thing with vegetable oil every now and then. There is a food save finish from Chestnut, but I don't know if that's heatproof.

Hi All

I'm with Horst here, I'd be reluctant to use these products for holding food or drinks.

Our Food Safe Finish is not designed to hold liquids in this way and I'm unable to suggest anything that is, especially bearing in mind that should anything like this leak and cause injury all hell could let loose!

I'd go with nothing as being safest - at least as far as added nasties goes. What the long term problems might be, I wouldn't like to guess. Given that the "posh" version of wooden vessels was pewter with plenty of lead content, historical example probably isn't the best route to follow...

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back