Wood fillers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Got some rotten windows to repair in patches.

I've used relatively expensive wood fillers in the past and then moved on to car body filler but wondering now about just using tubes of polyester resin chemical fixing instead? Cheaper and a bit more practical to use.

Any comments?

I see Timbabuild have a well rated epoxy resin product in a tube but polyester resin from toolstation seems much cheaper

We use dry flex for window repairs it’s great stuff and a little goes a long way if you use it along side traditional timber splicing. You can even buy it as a single tube so it fits in regular silicone guns. It will sink so just top up with regular 2 part on day 2and sand back flat. Happy days. Other brands available.

This product is really really good. Let me try and explain. Remove all rotten wood first. This product is flexible in fact it's rubbery. The thin epoxy glues the rubbery epoxy to the wood. As the wood moves so does the product.
Any other filler when the wood moves a crack opens up water enters and the whole thing breaks down. It's not perfect because it's not great to sand but it does last.

Back