wood & concrete

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder

Reaction score
I am probably in the wrong place? as well as woodwork I make concrete troughs, planters & a water feature, I used a hand fretsaw to cut out words or pictures on my concrete jobbies, I was wondering if anyone had "had a go" at polishing concrete? I think it could look good especially if some small stones were added? any ideas would be appreciated. Will post some pics when I figure out how!. I did do a rather long introductory post when I joined last week, cant seem to find it? I was wondering if anyone had replied? thanks, Alf (welder)

Alf, since this is your first post, the into must have somehow been lost.

welcome to the forum.

I have had a go at polishing concrete.

6 years ago I did some samples using different aggregates. Turned out OK

I still haven't found a client who will let me do it!!

There are loads of videos on you tube to show you what to do.

Welcome to the forum..........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've done some too. To get the best look, you need to get quite deep into the aggregate. That's lots of diamonds if you are just abrading. My bit was tiny (300mm x 250mm) and I started with a diamond chainsaw cut because of what it was (a raised edge around a slab foundation, which had a door opening which was cast too small, and the builder wouldn't touch it). #

It didn't take too long, maybe 20 mins, to go through the grits on the polish. But that adds up if you are charging your time.

Yes you can polish concrete but can be difficult to keep flat and polishing will show up scuff marks as in wood. Usually done wet due to dust created. You would want to use a softish aggregate as in terazzzo which is a good example of dressed concrete where soft marble and limestone is used. See your local fish shop, chip shop, or old public toilets. They may use terrazzo tiles rather than the insitu floors of old but same effect. High lights may be the way to go. Best wsihes.

Use stone tumbler polishing compound starting with course 80 grit then getting finer to eventually a pinkish powder (something oxide) but it needs to be done wet. Very hard work if done by hand. Results depend on the original mix - try flicking in some concrete powder dye in different places as you cast it. I've seen this used for making worktops rather than by buying expensive granite.

Back