wobbly tailstock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peejay

Reaction score
Hi,
Dont laugh but just picked up a very cheap clarke woodturning lathe. It is adequate for my needs however The tailstock is a screw thread with live centre on. What I want to know is. is there any way to replace this part and replace with a morse taper thingy that will take a chuck?
any ideas from you guys. thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum

The biggest problem with the two cheap Clarke tailstocks is that the thread diameter is not much more than the outside diameter of a MT1 taper so unless the actual tailstock was altered then there is not much chance of being able to fit a drill chuck to the tailstock.

It is not too hard to "drill" a center hole using a gouge but no good if you want small precise holes.

Jason

This is not a reply that I am proud of but, needs must.

:oops: :oops: Mole grips and drill bit :oops: :oops:

(highlight the gap to view)

or, slightly better, turn a handle and fit the drill bit in it if there is a size you use often.

Either of the above only really an option up to 6 or 8mm at a push. Just be careful please!!!!

does the tail stock gave a centre piece that moves backwards and forwards on a winding handle. I have various parts stripped of old machines with a 1 morse taper that may be made to fit . draw it with dimensions and email it to me I will send you my email address is a PM if you request it.

thanks for the warm welcome gents and thanks to russell I will sort out a diagram in a mo and send it to you.

I think you'll find that the tail stock is hollow and you can knock out the live centre from the rear and you are left with a 1MT hole ready for a drill chuck

hi jaymar,
the tailstock has a threaded bar that winds in and out with the live centre attached permanently. I can remove the threaded piece to leave what appears to be a 3/4" dia by 10 tpi threaded hole

060614005.jpg

Assume this is the type of tailstock, same thing on their single round bed lathe

Jason

thats the one jason thanks. I was wondering if I could drill out the screwed hole to take a morse taper insert thingy that can be wound in and out. Sorry about the vague terminology but just starting :eek:)

If you have access to an engineering lathe then you may just be able to do it.

The threaded section will need to be drilled out to about 8mm all the way through to allow the tooling to be ejected, then the taper rough bored with a small boring bit and the taper then finished with a MT1 socket reamer.

It would be easier to turn a male JT taper onto the threaded end and fit a chuck onto this, then hold a simple center in the chuck when you need tailstock support but you would still need an engineering lathe.

Jason

Latest posts

Back