Wiring up a 16Amp supply for the table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartecosse

Established Member
Reaction score
So, collected the table saw today which is a Minimax ST3 Smart............it needs a 16 amp supply

I've been researching the forum for the best way to to this and was under the impression it was simply a case of a motor rated MCB being installed into the consumer unit with cabling to the appropriate plug.

Electrician has just been round and has advised a RCBO rather than an MCB.........but he didn't seem 100% on that.

I will try and call a minimax supplier tomorrow and speak to someone about it but in the meantime can anyone on here offer some helpful advice.....is and RCBO a safer option whilst also being suitable for a table saw?

THanks

I'd have thought that the rcbo option would be the sensible one in that it'll give you earth leakage protection and short circuit protection in one unit, assuming you don't have rcd protection already for your workshop supply?
If there is already an rcd protecting the supply then it's a bit belt and braces, hence his uncertainty perhaps?
Sorry if that's a bit vague but without seeing your set up its a bit of a guess really.

RCBO's are often larger and require a double slot in the consumer unit. If you have the spare space then that's great but if not then it's worth finding out for sure before you get talked into buying a whole new consumer unit.
Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, hopefully will be able to find a single module rcbo then as only have a single space left.

It is normal to fit an RCBO into a slot that is not already protected by an RCD. If you do not already have RCDs in your consumer unit I would have thought that it is unlikely that you can get a RCBO for it. Manufacturers tend to change the layout when they introduce new ranges every few years and the new stuff generally does not fit the older stuff.

RCD protection is always a good idea and if you can get it via an RCBO go for it The RCD provides additional protection by tripping if there is a leakage to earth of more than 30mA which is designed to protect you if you are providing that earth leakage path

Single pole (Live only) RCBOs are usually single slot. Double pole RCBO's are usually two slot but are only required on TT earth systems where you have provided your own earth, often found in rural areas.

HappyHacker":xwa6sw6k said:
Single pole (Live only) RCBOs are usually single slot. Double pole RCBO's are usually two slot but are only required on TT earth systems where you have provided your own earth, often found in rural areas.

Depending upon where you live in France (Outside any town) the connection to the general earth mass will be the responsibility of the consumer and not the electricity supply authority EDF. The connection may need to be quite deep to ensure good conductivity and numerous methods are used., to get your connection/installation certified by Consol (official body) testing is carried out on your chosen earth installation (mat or spike) to ensure the earth loop impedance is below 100 ohms before they will connect you to the grid.

Mike

I've used a mix of RCD and RCBO in my house to avoid "likely" faults tripping circuits like freezer and lighting. My workshop power is on a RCBO. If you've already got an RCD protecting the supply to your workshop then you don't need another. If you don't you might want to question the existing protection and what it is you're protecting.

So.......turns out that an RCBO for the mem board that is installed in our house is over £200, so won't be going down that route!

There is power in the actual barn where the table saw is (although its next to our house its not ours but I now have permission to have work done on the power there) so does it sound feasible to take power from the existing consumer unit thats is in the barn to another smaller unit over where the saw is and have a couple of 20amp type d mcbs installed in that one (wylex do a small panel and sensibly priced mcb's) to provide power to two 16amp plugs?

The existing unit in the barn provides power to four overhead fluorescent lights and two double sockets as well as two larger spotlights. It appears from looking at it to have a 100amp supply, at least that is what its labelled up as, its on its own seperate supply and meter not part of another property.

Any advice appreciated.....

Thanks

Just a Type C MCB with 2.5 cable going to a 16amp plug is all you need. I've got a few 16amp machines wired in by my sparky and thats all it takes, about 10mins work. Simply to protect from the power spike on startup then it draws only a few amps while running

Thanks, didn't think it was a complicated process but the I have a feeling the electrician is trying to make it so to justify the price :(

Or stick a 13amp socket on it and use it in a normal plug. It won't get the full kW power rating but it will work.

But as has already been advised, throw a 16m breaker in the consumer box and run 2.5mm2 cable to a 16a hook up and off you go. Individual RCBOs are nice, but expensive!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I have a few RCBO's if you want them, UK single pole units are not legal in France where my workshop is, I will have a look tomorrow to see what rating they are, got to look for them in the loft.

Mike

Check the type you need too. My compressor required a type b i think, it kept tripping a type c because of the start up current. (I'll have to check those letters, make sure I got it right.)

The question that comes to mind, is this a two or single pole, all of my two pole Hager's that are motor rated are D type, but this is in France.

Mike

Back