wireless modem v windows 7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gardenshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some help trying to get a new laptop with windows 7 to work wireless with a new Belkin N wireless router.

The setup quick start wants me to hard wire the modem, which I find a bit odd, so I follow all the instructions and it works fine (via the cable) but can I get it to work wireless........... :x. I've looked through the manual, been on the Belkin website, (it shows a quick start foe windows 7 but............ :x

Any help pleeeeeeease

Daft question GS but the wireless on the laptop is turned on isn`t it?. The reason I ask is my other half couldn`t get online the other day until I noticed she/someone had slid the wifi switch on the front to off :)
Steve

gasmansteve":mdczm71o said:
Daft question GS but the wireless on the laptop is turned on isn`t it?. The reason I ask is my other half couldn`t get online the other day until I noticed she/someone had slid the wifi switch on the front to off :)
Steve

:) I checked that, I use the laptop at work wireless and it's fine. But I can't get it working at home with this new router . :x

gardenshed":1pbck7as said:
gasmansteve":1pbck7as said:
Steve

:) I checked that, I use the laptop at work wireless and it's fine. But I can't get it working at home with this new router . :x

Can you actually "see" the wireless network?

Would suggest you take it down to the basics - unsecure, broadcast SID, see if it works and then put the layers back on. At some point you'll see where it goes weird.

Also see if your Belkin is up to date on the Firmware. I had a similar experience where inbound (port forwarding) wouldn't work for love nor money and as an act of desperation I updated the Firmware & guess what? Started working - go figure!

HIH

Dibs

Not really much help, but I'm typing this on W7 notebook and WiFi, Ijust, kinda, turned them both on.
WiFi first :)

Simple solution. Ring the Belkin help line. They are very helpful and will talk you through all aspects of the problem. Well worth the small cost of the 0845 number. You will need the model and serial number of the router to hand before calling.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to phone them up this morning to sort it out. A bit annoying really as it's says on the box "windows 7" ready :roll: .

From memory 'cos I'm on a vista (cr**p) laptop at the minute. (note to self - must find the time to upgrade to 7)

When I set up my wife's win 7, there was a small icon on her windows task bar which I right clicked to open a menu and just clicked "connect to a network" et voila (there are other commands inc diagnose and repair - usefull if it loses the links)
You can also get to the network sharing centre from there.

If not you can go into control panel / network centre and it should show your connection and whether or not connected.
If it does and not connected, then click connect.
If it doesn't then click one of the task links down the left side e.g. manage wireless or set up a connection to see if you can locate it.

Note that if encrypted, you may need to enter the router SSID number which you'll find on the router itself

cheers

bob

Latest posts

Back