wire edge scratching super fine stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanvdH

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this recurring problem that when I have used either my coarsest waterstone and recently the Tormek to remove a nick in a chisel or to change the primary bevel angle, the resulting burr on the back is that strong that it puts scratches in my polishing stone.

This only occurs with the coarse grinding, not with your regular 800 or 1000 sharpening.

Is there a way to avoid this ?

Sincerely,

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I use a mixture of sharpening stones and have now the Jet wet grinder. I do not use water stones so I have not had your problem, but I think I would rub off the very coarse burr on a medium stone, before I used that grit on the bevel. You are then sharpening from a defined primary bevel, just like when the tool is blunt. The fine burr produced now should be removed with out scoring the very fine stone.

duncan.
basic rule with the tormek is after initial bevelling, move to leather wheel and remove wire edge at back by running across that.

i never have problems like this since i checked and followed the instructions. :roll:

paul :wink:

DuncanvdH":2350mh23 said:
Is there a way to avoid this ?
Yes; don't buy a Tor- erm, never mind... :lol: Going from a coarse grind to a polishing stone is never going to be a Good Thing, primarily because it's going to take an age to polish out the scratches on the bevel. Get out a medium grit stone or by all means dub your edge on that leather wheel - although do they really instruct you to go from a coarse grind to the leather wheel?

Cheers, Alf

I am sorry for being so unclear. The problem is not Tormek related. I had the same when I was grinding my chisels on a 220 waterstone.

I understood that after you have spent considerable time polishing the BACK of the chisel, it should not be brought into contact with anything other than your polishing stone. However, if you do some serious grinding, say when you have to take out a nick or when your secondary bevel has become to large, the grinding creates a sharp burr. When I try to remove this burr from the BACK of the chisel on my polishing stone, the burr tends to make scratches in the stone surface.

When I would remove the burr on a coarser stone, i would damage my polished back or not?

Duncan

Duncan,

You're right once the back is polished you definitely don't want to go near it with a coarse stone.

If you have done some serious grinding to the primary bevel with a coarse stone you should then move up the grits still working on the primary bevel this will naturally remove most of the burr.

The same goes with the Tormek, once you have ground the edge you should dress the stone with the fine side of the stone grader and polish the edge again. This will also remove most of the burr and should solve your problem.

Keith

no alf of course they do not recommend going straight from coarse grind to honing on the tormek either :roll: :lol:

however, since every time you gind a bevel, you are going to create a wire edge, it makes sense to get rid of it every time you change the stone type.

other solution of course is to strop the edge on a leather strip before moving back to the polishing stone, a la DMT.

Duncan
I bought a 4000 grit stone - a few strokes on this removes the wire edge then I go to the polishing stone. Solves the scratching problem and gives a more consistent edge.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

engineer one":3hdjfydr said:
no alf of course they do not recommend going straight from coarse grind to honing on the tormek either :roll: :lol:
I hoped not, but that's what you appeared to be saying which is why I asked.

engineer one":3hdjfydr said:
other solution of course is to strop the edge on a leather strip before moving back to the polishing stone, a la DMT.
Good grief, do DMT give that advice? Why in the world would you go to a strop and then back a step to a polishing stone? :?

Duncan, as advised, go through the grits and the wire edge should naturally make like a Boojum. e.g. softly and silently vanish away.

As an aside, do scratches on a stone actually do any harm anyway?

Cheers, Alf

whoops sorry alf i seem to be saying things i don't mean.

what i meant ala dmt was that they give you a leather strop to help get rid of the wire edge, so why not use that or similar?? :roll:

that's what the barber used to do in the old days with his razor :lol:

mind you i agree what does it matter if you get scratches on the stone,
surely that is part of it??

what does concern me is that duncan should be getting such a big wire edge that he feels it to be so troublesome :?

removing metal ensures you get some kind of wire edge, the removal of that is the only way you get the so called perfect intersection. what damage the removal does to the sharpening tools seems irrelevant since if they are water you will regularly be cleaning them up and if you use other mediums like paste, it too will remove the edge without too much damage.

Back