WIP table repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooked Tree

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished this little repair job a while back. Thank you to those who advised upon the approach and finishing.

The victim: one small antique table, made from mahogany (or similar).
The problem: broken foot on a curved leg. This probably happened long ago, and certainly before I inherited it. It had been subjected to a brutal repair which was now failing.

The approach: cut a slot in the underside of the leg and foot, araldite in a piece of M8 threaded rod (shaped to fit) as reinforcement. Araldite some mahogany-like timber on top to cover.

The offending foot
100_1292.jpg

100_1293.jpg

Old repair disassembled
100_1307.jpg

Lined up the 2 components, marked for the slot, then cut it separately in each bit using chisels.
100_1311.jpg

Assembled
100_1317.jpg

Mahogany epoxyed on top and gaps filled with epoxy
100_1319.jpg

Taped up the awkward shape and left to cure. The next day I found that it had set at the wrong angle :cry: . Broke it apart, hoping it had not cured fully... and broke the whole leg apart. Doh. Now much worse than before I started.
Reassembled the leg in stages by pressing the bits back together and glueing with PVA. This time the foot was glued to the leg using only the metal rod to start with (was still attached to the leg). Then added the covering mahogany once cured. Shaped using chisels.

Now to replace the missing chunk on the top side of the leg. Following old text books, cut sloping flat faces at either end and flattened the bottom ready for a patch. Then tweaked the angle of the patch side slopes until it slid into place, sticking out proud of the surface.
100_1331.jpg

Shaped using a coping saw, chisels and rasps/files.
100_1332.jpg

Then filled in caps resulting from my disaster, and to cover some of the epoxy underneath using the good old PVA and sawdust method. Finished by sanding then french polishing and topping with brown wax. Also gave the other legs a going over so that the differential in the finish would not be so great. Result:

100_1338.jpg

100_1340.jpg

nice job of repair the only comment i have is that before you aplyed the finish you should have toned the new and sanded timber back to with vandyke crystal stain to blend in the colour difference

woodbutcher

Agreed. I needed the table back in service and didn't have any dye or soot, so just mixed a little black ink in with the french polish. I didn't work well!

Is that a brand name or generic type? Is it much different to the wood stains seen in DIY shops?

hi
vandyke csystals are made from walnut husks and liberon do them i get mine from relics of witney about £9 for 500gram bag.

woodbutcher

Nice to see that little repair came out so well...it was an awkward one to be fair, but I think the bolt/epoxy route was the best one to take - Rob

I think that it would indeed be too weak without the metal. Thanks for the advice - glad I used the slower of the Araldite epoxys!

Back