WIP - Fence Post Tomato Planter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of the fruit n veg is planted, growing and happy in our garden and that makes me feel pretty dam good I can tell you because with all the family illness woes over the past 4 years, it's nice to be able to get back to some semblance of normality. There's just 3 stray, homeless tommy-tato plants that have nowhere to go and coincidentally I have about 3 foot of wall space I can nab for a long planter. So that's what needs doing. I had various chunky bits of oak and some solid old pine knocking about that were once fence posts so that's the posts sorted. The rails, also pretty chunky, were derived from a combination of an old pub table and other fence posts ripped down.
The oak posts were once part of a chain link fence that separated the front garden of our family home from the pavement so are at least 50 years old and hold quite a nostalgic place for me, having kicked footballs through/over/at them for much of my early childhood. They finally rotted through at ground level and I rescued the tops. But for a short project like this, bit of tlc through the planar and they're lovely. It will be painted to eventually unite all the disparate components.

So progress so far is the frame is milled, cut, mortised (domino's) and dry assembled. Today is panels, floor and tongue and groove time, followed by glue up and paint. I'm hoping to plant the toms in it tomorrow morning (famous last words). I always enjoy rescuing forgotten and forlorn timbers like this so they enjoy an extended life. No idea why :)

IMG_5611.JPG
IMG_5617.JPG
IMG_5618.JPG
IMG_5619.JPG
IMG_5620.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5611.JPG
    IMG_5611.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,437
  • IMG_5617.JPG
    IMG_5617.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_5618.JPG
    IMG_5618.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,437
  • IMG_5619.JPG
    IMG_5619.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_5620.JPG
    IMG_5620.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,437
Excellent project, especially as home grown tomatoes are just so flavoursome compared to the bland supermarket versions.

Good luck!

Looking good Rob :)

Like yourself I always remember where the different pieces of timber have come from and the story behind them. makes it kind of special, or maybe a bit sad, but I prefer to think special ! :lol:

Very kind chaps and I couldn't agree more that home grown toms are the best, no contest in fact. So todays task was to get everything ready for the glue up because I wanted it to have the night in the clamps. The jobs were to route a housing in the underside of the upper rail and the upper side of the lower rail to accept either end of the tongue and grooved panelling; batten the insides at the bottom to take a floor, decorate the top rails with some form of moulding, assemble and glue and leave clamped for painting when I get time, hopefully first coat on in the morning. 30 degrees in the workshop today, phew!

It all went fairly smoothly with a couple of disappointing break outs due to the sub standard, upcycled timber but glue and paint will put ant small sins right. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to route a 15mm deep 3/4" wide housing in one pass without the router struggling too much, kind of expected that to be a 3 pass job.

To avoid splitting the pine tongue and groove boards during the winter when they take on a lot of moisture, I left a 3 mm gap between each panel by ripping a bunch of 3mm spacers. The panels will float freely sandwiched in the housing both at the top and between one another. Just put a dab of glue on the end 2 so no gaps open up next to the corner posts. Come glue up, I dam near couldn't remove one of dry fit dominos it was in so tight, pliers, wiggling, a real pig it was!

In the end I used an ovolo to round over the post tops and stop chamfered/rolled over the sides of the top rails. Those one hand held trim routers are perfect for that job, fabulous little tools. It's in the clamps now cooking overnight.

IMG_5621.JPG
IMG_5624.JPG
IMG_5625.JPG
IMG_5627.JPG
IMG_5628.JPG
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5621.JPG
    IMG_5621.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5624.JPG
    IMG_5624.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5625.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_5627.JPG
    IMG_5627.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5628.JPG
    IMG_5628.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5629.JPG
    IMG_5629.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5630.JPG
    IMG_5630.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,308
Nearly finished now. Sadolin Rosewood, bit garish but it'll fade and the tin was in my shed stash so it had to be used. Like a . I forgot to glue one entire side so had to drill, counterbore and screw then turned a monster oak peg to cover the hole. When the preserver's dry I'll give it a last coat and then pin some dpm to the inside to avoid direct contact between soil and wood, maybe some bun feet to keep it off the ground and it should provide me with toms for many years to come. Enjoyable project to do but could have really done without the 30 degree heat!

IMG_5632.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,188
  • IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_5634.JPG
    IMG_5634.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_5635.JPG
    IMG_5635.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,189
Random Orbital Bob":2o3zuvfz said:
maybe some bun feet to keep it off the ground

In the past I have used rubber doorstops as 'moisture breaks' on the feet, they could be sat in flat bottomed hole to hide the majority, just enough poking out to keep the posts off the floor.

looks great BTW.

It's amusing (and perspiration inducing) to consider doing that amount of stock-prep-reclaim
using hand methods...

BugBear

No skills":2aqvgz50 said:
Very nice Bob, beats a grow bag by a country mile 8)

Did you use stock domino's or make your own?

Stock 10mm ones. I would have preferred to use 2 side by side but not really enough space given the housing in the underside of the rails. it does feel pretty solid though and if it shifts in a few years I can always wack some screws in because looking pretty isn't terribly important....growing yummy toms is :)

Steve Maskery, take note....planter project....good use of your big workshop...film it...we'll all watch it.

Good idea Bob, not felt much like doing a project lately, I was trying to get my garden sort of straight and then all this burglary and car stuff. Also I'm helping out 2 mates with their projects, so I'm actually quite busy, by my standards. I'm being a "Ray" to them :)
What goes around, etc.

BTW, if you are using dominoes, have you considered simply overlapping them? It works really well to beef up a joint when there is not quite enough room for two full ones. Yes, I have to rip one down, but it doesn't compromise the joint at all, really. Plus, I'm a cheapskate and often make my own, so they can be any size I want.

S
PS Since you got me into this, will you come and water my toms for me every day when I'm not here? :)

Yes, your recent brush with the local pond scum has been harrowing reading for which you have my sympathy. Also, your "reverse Ray" explains your relative absence recently but, it is a decent gesture on your part to keep the Karma in circulation. It was partly because I'd read of your woes with the local "scrotes" that I kind of suggested the planter because I've always found there's nothing quite like a project to crowd out other anxiety inducing thoughts. The concentration is half of it and the natural inspiration from the material seems to provide the rest. All in all a very handy distraction but it sounds like you're well and truly distracted already.

Anything there we should be seeing in full pictorial glory??? Come on Steve, you know we cant resist one of your WIPS!!!!

I forgot to mention....Domino's side by side....sort of like the film industry portays "binocular vision? What a great idea, never even occurred to me. I was too busy carefully avoiding the thought that I'd sold my old style mortiser prematurely with the idea that Domino's were sufficient. I should have had more faith in the Domino and gone a little off piste.

It will be an interesting experiment to monitor the joints on this project given the combination of loose tenons (well not that loose in fact) and gorilla glue where the job is permanently outside.

Last thought......regrettably I'm way too far away to provide water cover for your doubtless, soon to be prize winning Sungolds, but I bet a couple of mates on the receiving end of your "Ray focus" might be up for it :=)

monkeybiter":20miqyx8 said:
Random Orbital Bob":20miqyx8 said:
maybe some bun feet to keep it off the ground

In the past I have used rubber doorstops as 'moisture breaks' on the feet, they could be sat in flat bottomed hole to hide the majority, just enough poking out to keep the posts off the floor.

looks great BTW.

Not a bad idea that Monkey. In fact I started scouring my workshop for the bits n bobs box in which I thought I had salvaged various rubber feet. But then I happened across a bunch of castors and thought that would solve both the moisture problem and mobility so on they went. Castors aren't cheap these days so that was a bit of a find as I must have had those for 10 years :)

Here's the update from yesterday, castors on and interior lined with thick dpm left over from the house build. last one is it in situ. Now I need to fill the dam thing with soil, organic matter and.....tomatoes!

IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5644.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5641.JPG
    IMG_5641.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_5642.JPG
    IMG_5642.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_5644.JPG
    IMG_5644.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 962
Smart job all round there Bob, a bit too posh for me, afraid anything approaching that sort of construction or facility just gets knocked together from rough sawn tantalized and a selection of nails and screws.

With you on the use of salvaged left overs for moisture barriers etc. a load of planters made about 20 yrs ago for yard and housing winter sensitive plants had left over fencing feather edge, some pallet wood & plastic and insulation from conservatory construction as moisture barriers and are still around if looking a little tired.
planter.jpg

Attachments

• planter.jpg
    planter.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 380
Well I forgot to post the final shot with it functioning as intended. Then Steve Maskery's thread prompted the photo so might as well finish off here too :)

In situ:

IMG_5675.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5675.JPG
    IMG_5675.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 330
Back