Window's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to make a Lot of windows for my son,s house..opening and fixed.
Can anybody recomend where I can get any manufacturing advice-
plans or book I am not sure on how to do the cross pieces etc

any help would be appreciated
Regards
David N :?:

Under new legislation, unless you are Fensa registered or are prepared to get building control to check them out and approve them then I'm afraid you are scuppered.

Cheers

Tim

Thats not good news. I was planning to make new windows for my house to replace all the broken/drafty UPVC stuff - how can a window now be regulated that much.. this country is crazy! Soon, we'll need to have the govenments say so to scratch our rear end.

Hmmmmm, what's to actually stop you making the windows and just fitting them?

It's absurd that you are seeking to improve upon something that's already there yet you are penalised for doing so? I new carefully made window will be more energy efficient, especially if you get some high performance glass.

G

It's the governments latest attempt to stifle initiative so that we become dependent on them!
Believe it or not you now need a licence to climb a tree! Plus of course safety goggles to play conkers.

Repair work, such as replacement glazing or repair of rotten or damaged frame members is not subject to Building Regulation approval.

Just a thought, that I believe has been discussed before, this can be interpreted in a constructive way and if you are staying in the property for a few years then the only thing about the window that declares itself, is possibly a date code in the unit, so if asked by a surveyor or HIPS it could be said that the glass was replaced. Of course the right thing to do is to declare it to the council, if you were to fully replace the window.

Alan

Sometimes Alan these regs mean whatever you/they want 'em to mean.
For example, just before I went into hospital I was installing LPG heating, so I checked the regs.
You must be Corgi registered mate.
Oh no you don't! Oh yes you do! Yes, it was a pantomime alright. Actually the regs say Corgi or competent.
Ah competent!
What's competent mean I asked.
Basically this, if you don't blow yourself or neighbors up you're competent.
We really need a government to work that out don't we :lol: .

i repair windows, a lot of them

i occasionally make a phone call to the local bco and in conservation areas to the conservation officer as well

most of the time the usual questions are "is it a repair", "will it be in the same style"

the answer from me is "yes"

ive not been asked for any more information....................... so far

I think the same now also applies if you intend to replace your front door - even if you're going to leave the frame in tact.

The most frightening thing I heard a while back was someone inside the goverment mumbling about how less than 50% of the country actually use their garage to store their car overnight - next thing you know, we'll have a workshop tax!! :roll: :wink:

For example, just before I went into hospital I was installing LPG heating, so I checked the regs.
You must be Corgi registered mate.
I know Digit I've been round and round with this one. The people who proclaim endlessly that you must be corgi are those who are corgi. As you say it's "are you competent" that counts as long as it's for yourself and you don't charge. I even have a corgi mate who won't charge me for doing a check because it then makes him legally responsible for everything in the house and he has to declare it and he says no point being on the paperwork if you don't need to be, doesn't mean we are not safe just means not playing the game. Crazy world.

Alan

I'll say, but it makes beating the odds more fun. My son recently bought a s/h car, and when MOT came around the garage failed it on the basis that a hair line crack in the screen, (I couldn't even see it!) extended 20 mm into the area swept by the wipers, the limit being 10 mm, and gave him a three figure quote for a replacement screen.
He returned the car a few days later with slightly shorter wipers! The garage was not amused but had no choice but to pass it! :lol: :lol:

Digit":7yoy8niy said:
I'll say, but it makes beating the odds more fun. My son recently bought a s/h car, and when MOT came around the garage failed it on the basis that a hair line crack in the screen, (I couldn't even see it!) extended 20 mm into the area swept by the wipers, the limit being 10 mm, and gave him a three figure quote for a replacement screen.
He returned the car a few days later with slightly shorter wipers! The garage was not amused but had no choice but to pass it! :lol: :lol:
Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the reason why they have these regulations is that people quite often sell houses and if the windows are below standard, the new buyer may not realise it.
Not saying that they would be substandard in this example of course, in fact I expect they would be a lot better. It's amazing just how much really bad work you see done on houses though, and some kind of regulation has got to be a good idea

mister henderson":2lcuw2xg said:
I think the reason why they have these regulations is that people quite often sell houses and if the windows are below standard, the new buyer may not realise it.
Not saying that they would be substandard in this example of course, in fact I expect they would be a lot better. It's amazing just how much really bad work you see done on houses though, and some kind of regulation has got to be a good idea

ROFL - a very quick Google using the terms "NHBC guarantee worthless" came up with 57 hits. I'm sure that there are more to find in a similar vein. As a country, IMO, we are over-regulated.

if the windows are below standard, the new buyer may not realise it. Two words - caveat emptor.

To the OP, if you don't replace the frame then it is classed as a repair and you don't need to notify anybody. From a pragmatic perspective, not all glass is date stamped as far as I know....but if you are going to be putting in K glass then IIRC it will be. At least you will be able to install aesthetically pleasing windows that are light and airy.

FENSA doesn't mean "Frantically Ensuring Nationally Sub-standard Architecture" for nothing.

Slightly off subject but tradesmen doing work or repair of properties in Australia have to have a tradesmans compensation insurance that guarantees their work to consumers.
I have found a drafty window this morning (upvc window two years old) and I know the supplier has gone bust, I assume I can repair myself reading above comments.

I don't know what the fuss is about. You build the windows to the right standard (depending on whether it is a repair or a replacement), and if it is a replacement, you pay the (small) fee for a building inspector to come around and flash his tool at the windows to make sure that you've done your bit to stop global warming. Big deal.

Gents
Thank you for all the advice on the reg etc but I still need the advice on
how to make them...can anyone help
when I have made them I will worry about the regs

Help Please
DavidN

Back