Window Making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Byron

One thing to bear in mind when you're measuring up is that the double-glazing units have a border round them made from the spacer and anti-condensation stuff. This is then usually covered over with tape to protect fingers from the sharp edges. These borders encroach onto the window area by about 10mm all round and so if the rebate in your glazing bar isn't deep enough then you will see a bit of the borders/tape. This may/may not be a problem for you.

I made up some casement openers (oh...all right...JFC showed me how to/did most of the work :lol: ) to mimic some existing Georgian windows. The original glazing bars were beautifully thin ...unlike todays Brunel engineered planks...but the end result was marred by seeing the borders.

Thanks for the tip roger, i'll bear that in mind, however I intend to make the DG units myself so i'm not even sure what the spacers and anti-condensation stuff is at the moment, all this is complelely alien to me.

Does anyone know of a good industry standard book on window making? I can see myself making quite a few for friends and family as well as myself in the future, and would like to really understand the subject.

ByronBlack":2gf6tje3 said:
Thanks for the tip roger, i'll bear that in mind, however I intend to make the DG units myself so i'm not even sure what the spacers and anti-condensation stuff is at the moment, all this is complelely alien to me.

That was also my thought but then reading up more I became convinced that, at the time of making the units/sealing them etc, that there would be moisture content entrapped between the panes. At some point in time/temperature setting it will condense inside the panes. That's why bought in units are (a) sealed and (b) have some sort of stuff in the border/frame that absorbs any moisture from the air trapped between the panes. Your call.

Hi Roger, basically, as usual it comes down to cost, if its cheaper for me to make them myself then thats the way I've got to go as i've overspent on the workshop project already and I need to keep SWMBO happy.

The spacer strip on DG units typically encapsulates expanded clay bead dessicant. As long as the strips are pre-dried, once the glass unit is sealed the dessicant then dehumidifies the air inside. I wouldn't be surprised if the sealant is UV cured to speed production.

Ike

Hi BB , i am making a window tomorrow so will take a few pics for you .

Evening,

When you're making/installing these windows, how do you get the Certificate of Compliance for thermal performance standards, that the homeowner will be required to show when they sell the property?

(I've been thinking of replacing two of ours with my own windows, but I can't see how I can manage it., as even if I buy in the DG units, that still won't give me the cert.)

Regards,

Colin

Sailor":2cmv8m9g said:
Evening,

When you're making/installing these windows, how do you get the Certificate of Compliance for thermal performance standards, that the homeowner will be required to show when they sell the property?

(I've been thinking of replacing two of ours with my own windows, but I can't see how I can manage it., as even if I buy in the DG units, that still won't give me the cert.)

Regards,

Colin
Simple - don't worry about it until you sell the house. Then if anybody really wants to know you say "I've lost the paper work" or any such feeble excuse. It is very unlikely to jeopardise the sale, I mean, really, who cares on the day?

cheers
Jacob
PS If your buyers are really bothered they have the option of paying a surveyor to have a look - still won't cost you anything!

This is getting quite worrying as I find myself saying again: I have to agree with Jacob, I don't think anyone would really care too much.

When I moved into my current place late last year, there was an issue with the front porch not having council approval and not being on the deeds, yet it's been there for best part of 10 years, did that bother us? No way, we were only 2 weeks away from completion and there was no way a small issue was going to deter us.

Btw, after doing a ton of research on this windows, and the complications of the DG units, I've decided to go for single glazing using decent glass and making some hinged security covers as previously mentioned by Shultzy.

All you have to do is pay the "council" to come round with an infra red or somesuch device and they put it against all the relevant sealed units and say "yeah they're OK mate" £50 please. All this presuming a purchaser has an on the ball solicitor. I "think" the onus would be upon the seller to pay upon request by a potential purchaser. The more legally oriented members will know for sure.
Alan

Woody Alan":1ejkpcs6 said:
I "think" the onus would be upon the seller to pay upon request by a potential purchaser. The more legally oriented members will know for sure.
Alan

Switched on solicitors do ask the question 'has any work been done to the windows" or some such in their enquiries at the time of sale. They also ask about electrical stuff now although they don't quite understand that Part P does allow some work to be done. As more and more solicitors 'get wise' then we should expect these uestions to be asked.

However, a simple 'not as far as I am aware' answer usually does the trick.

Some pics for you BB
The first is without stop beads on the frame or glazing beads and the second is with them .

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

All you have to do is pay the "council" to come round with an infra red or somesuch device and they put it against all the relevant sealed units and say "yeah they're OK mate" £50 please

The last one I fitted cost about £150 for a certificate, he was there no more than 5 mins! You now also have to consider trickle vents - what fun.

i would think that if the buyers pack actually does become a real thing, then that will ask you to provide a number of certs about the mods, and that will certainly be at your cost. :cry:

as for the dg/against sg thing a lot depends upon the age of the house.
older ones designed for coal fires are better with single and maybe for the winter additional panes. whereas newer houses are more likely to be designed with dg in mind. so may show more condensation if not replaced normally.

i do think though byron you might well be advised to check with all the local dg companies about what they have for sale as rejects etc. often they are cheaper than buying the glass yourself. there's a place on the great west road that seems to sell units as well as windows. (near hounslow)
nice window jason
paul :wink:

The last one I fitted cost about £150 for a certificate, he was there no more than 5 mins! You now also have to consider trickle vents - what fun
Well that's inflation for you :) /different council maybe? have to admit it's a couple of years or so since I investigated, but still if it only comes down to when you're selling the property it's a drop in the ocean compared to what the bottom feeders are going to rip you off, let's face it who cares whilst you're living there, it's not as if it's any worse than before is it? does it matter? or is that too controversial?

Alan

Back