Window Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanN

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-decorating the living room, and have taken the window boards back to bare timber (pine). The idea was to stain them the same colour as the new flooring, but I've doubts over the finish as the condition of them isn't great.

I've already prepared and painted the walls, and don't fancy chopping the boards out to replace them - and having to repair/repaint the walls after. My initial thought was to "cap" the boards with new ones, lipping the front to cover the old boards - does that make sense?

Anyone attempted the above, or have any other ideas? or is it a case of chop the old ones out - while the wifes at work and hope I can fill and paint the walls again before she returns.

Any thoughts appreciated.

If the old cills are reasonably flat there should be no great problem with just capping them in the new wood, it's effectively the same as the windows guys did with some cills in my place - using the old wood (where in good condition) as a support for the plastic cills.

Also you know full well you'd never manage to replace them, fill, plaster and paint before swmbo gets home - which means you'll need her agreement ;)

I know - I was being optimistic about getting them chopped out and repaired/painted within the day :roll: She'd never agree to it, and would "suggest" that I paint them again.

I like the idea of veneering them, but the current boards have a rounded profile to the front. I guess I could cut these off (flush with the wall), and then add new square sections to the front before veneering over. Hmm - another option I guess. Thanks.

DeanN":3oh65wbw said:
I like the idea of veneering them, but the current boards have a rounded profile to the front. I guess I could cut these off (flush with the wall), and then add new square sections to the front before veneering over.
Cut them back flush and make-up a cover of thinish plywood or green (moisture-resistant) MDF with a rectangular nosing in solid hardwood or green MDF. Bond onto the existing window board(s) using No Nails or the like. That's a common approach in house bashing. Veneers might give you problems as they can and probably will curl the substrate unless you add a backing veneer to the underside. They'll also need sealing well to prevent moisture getting in at the edges and discolouring them. If you need to get them done in a hurry pre make them oversize and trim to fit when you're doing the job

You could trim the existing back, then overlay it with a new thick cill that overlaps enough to avoid a sight line to the original.

Or you could add a small apron of the new wood, down the wall a little to hide the original. I've seen it on american makeovers and it can look quite effective.

Back