Wind fall Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
We've had some strong winds round our way and I'm noticing a number of snapped-off boughs along the roadsides I travel along. Anyone know if there's any law against me collecting any of these?

I think England is the same as up here in this regard - if not sawn off by a person then regarded as deadfall and you may take it

I think you will find that strictly speaking these belong to the landowner. There is no right to take it. Whether anyone would care is another point but I looked into this regarding firewood some time ago.

And probably most people including the landowner would thank you for clearing it away.
Ps If a landowners tree grows over your land you are entitled to cut it back. And so probably as it has fallen on the local councils land – usually the side of the road. I can’t imagine the council chasing you for taking fallen tree boughs that they would have had to pay money to have removed.

Ps If a landowners tree grows over your land you are entitled to cut it back
Yes, but you don't become the owner of it - it still belongs to the landowner / owner of the tree.
It is amazing at this time of year just how much wishful thinking goes into why it might be reasonable to appropriate wood. I always say, think "Is there a good reason that should be mine ?" and if the answer is no, it probably isn't.

Lonsdale, you are right to ask.

The wood belongs to the landowner, whether private or council owned. I am not sure what the situation is on commons. Sometimes it may look discarded but often that is deliberate to allow it to rot down and to provide a habitat for wildlife.

As stated, if there is an overhanging tree, you have a right to trim it back but you don't own the wood, you must at least offer it back to the owner or it is theft. This should be a last resort because it is always preferable to get on with neighbours and I like to think most neighbours are reasonable. It is an easier conversation to have "do you mind if I cut your overhanging tree back a bit" rather than "here is half of your bush back" and dumping it on their doorstep.

Ideas about the landowner being grateful for you going on their land to take their property are pie in the sky. It is entirely possible it is next year's firewood for them!

I stand corrected. I never do it anyway as I buy the offcuts from my Timberyard who also make agricultural type wooden things, it’s all pretty wet but I put it into my firewood "kiln" it was £10 for this lot, sometimes it’s all great big chunks of Oak, I left it a bit late this time and could only pick from the leavings. Ian
D672912A-7F2A-45B8-8E1F-057137D76609.jpeg

When I got my log burner a few years ago I enquired with the Forestry Commission about picking up fallen wood and they informed me I would need a "scavengers licence", but none were available in my area. As previously said they wanted it to rot away for wildlife reasons. Probably a bit different if by the roadside. I'd just clear it and say you are doing your bit for the community if asked

Nice part of the country down there,I am up on the heads of the valleys where winter is fast approaching 🤪
When I got my log burner a few years ago I enquired with the Forestry Commission about picking up fallen wood and they informed me I would need a "scavengers licence", but none were available in my area. As previously said they wanted it to rot away for wildlife reasons. Probably a bit different if by the roadside. I'd just clear it and say you are doing your bit for the community if asked

Keep asking.

If there is a clearfell there is quite a lot of wastage it may just be that there wasn't a suitable clearfell etc where you are.

Also you can ask if they have any small spot sales which might be the tail end of a timber stack etc.

I know around the forest or dean area if you have a local postcode then your can apply for a licence to collect fallen wood

I know around the forest or dean area if you have a local postcode then your can apply for a licence to collect fallen wood
I'd love a Forest of Dean postcode.

I spotted three newly fallen branches, all within a mile of one another, one on a busy dual cariage way, second on a country lane and third on a grass verge that sepaates the road and footpath on a business park. The first looks to have been moved from where it fell - on the road! - to a nearby layby. It also looks a whole lot smaller and skinnier so suspect someone has claimed the best bit and left the rest. The one on the country lane might actually be part of the boundary of a private dwelling and might still be attached by a few fibres so that one could be more problematic. I think the third comes under the Highways dept of the local council so I've asked them the question and they've passed it on to the 'relevant' person who hasn't yet got back to me. Figuring worst case scenario is they'd want it back I wen and collected it this morning. It was piddling down, it was more than twice the length of my car, the final third not much use but rather than cherrypick I took the whole lot away so hopefully they'll be happy someone has taken care of it for them.

I asked a question of the Forrestry Commision a little over two years ago; still waiting for an answer.

Always good to find a source of free wood. I run two woodburners which I have had for about five years now and haven't had to buy any wood for them yet. Just as well as the oil central heating is off at the moment due to refurb. Fixed the chainsaw this morning (new diaphragm in carb) in anticipation of a few boughs from our neighbours as they have big plots with loads of mature trees. One has a woodburner but can't be bothered doing anything with their supply and buy kiln dried!

In what is a remarkably quick response time by usual standards and even more so in this covid era that is cited to cover up shoddy service, I have received a reply from the Highways and Transport department for this area and they have said they would not consider it theft if I was to remove any fallen wood from roads or pathways. They did point out it might be different on private land which we all knew anyway and I don't suppose they'd be too thrilled if I was to give nice looking pieces a helping hand!

Back