"WILLIAMS" of LONDON ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldwartools

Reaction score
Hi
I'm trying to research an old Coachmaker's Router Plane (adjustable) but I'm having no luck. The maker's stamp reads as follows...

WILLIAMS
42 BORO Rd
LONDON

There is a Borough High Street in Southwark, but I can't find anything on this road name at all. I've trawled through websites detailing street name changes etc but to no avail. Does anybody know anything about this maker, or have any dateable tools by them. The style of lettering screams Victorian.
I'd post a picture, but my camera's playing dead (new one on the way!!) - although last time I tried to post a picture on this site it said the file was too big.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated....
Jon

Lots of information is not available online, but is in published books. In this case, the essential reference work is the third edition of "British Planemakers from 1700" by WL Goodman, revised by Jane and Mark Rees.

However, the book is out of print and somewhat rare, while we wait patiently for the fourth edition to appear.

This is some of what it says about the Williams plane makers.

There were various Williamses - John, Henry and Thomas - who are assumed to be related. Henry Williams was recorded in trade directory listings at 42 Borough Road from 1845 to 1852. Thomas Williams was recorded at the same address from 1858 to 1868, but at other addresses later, ending up in Lambeth Walk with the last listing in 1885.

So it's likely that your plane was made between 1845 and 1868.

Borough Road is still there on modern maps - eg here: https://binged.it/2d9Klwh

Andy, that's brilliant information and exactly what I was looking for. Just goes to show that for all its worth, the internet has its limits - although without it I wouldn't be having this conversation and would still be none the wiser !!! Dusty old books and digital ether in perfect harmony...
A thousand thanks Andy...
Cheers
Jon

Don't forget the interface between the dusty old book and the Internet relies on having a slightly barmy character. :lol:

Back