Will this work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make some 3" x 24" reeded columns out of a mahogany type wood. I have made a jig to cut the reeds but I need to torn the columns. I know I am not good enough at turning to produce them by hand on the lathe. So I am considering making a jig to cut them using both the lathe and router. My thoughts are; if I mount a 3.5"X3.5" length of wood on the lathe and knock the corners of with a gouge and get it to something like round. The next step would be to use the router. The router being mounted on a box type structure that straddles the wood and runs along the lathe bed. The cutter, a long straight cutter, would run along the wood on the lathe, set at 1.5" from the centre. The idea being that as the wood spins the cutter cuts a perfect 3" diam. column, possibly in one or two cuts. If you think this will work, should the cut be made from chuck to tail stock, the other way and with the router cutter at the front or back of the wood being cut? Also, should I run the lathe at high or low speed?

Hi Sawdust, yes it would work That is how they produce mass production spindles on a purpose built copy lathe. BUT! have you ever compared the mass produced item with a hand turned item? There is just no comparison, the detail is so much better and crisper on the hand turned. If you can't turn them yourself get someone to do it.

Believe me it would be well worth it. IMO!

Latest posts

Back