wifi internet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit hazy about wifi internet access. If one has a router connection say and then goes on holiday is it still possible to access the internet provided a wifi network was within reach of your computer?

I presume you mean to take your computer with you? You will be able to access wifi networks if they are open for public access. Download the hotspot finder here http://www.jiwire.com/ and it will help you locate hotspots around the world.

Your computer will tell you when it is near one (open the network icon in the tray and refresh network connections). You can also buy little stand-alone hardware gadgets to alert you to the presence of networks - saves starting up the laptop.

Chris has it sussed. I'm always a little bit wary about using wifi internet especially for things like banking etc. So easy to install a sniffer program at their hub.

Last year we had a touring holiday in the USA. I took my laptop and a skype phone. There are so many unsecured wireless networks around that it was easy to just park the car, turn on the laptop...find someones home network or hotel network, connect and phone home very cheaply :)

UK seems better but there are still plenty of unsecured networks around. I can use some unknown neighbours network that is unsecured if my connection to the net ever failed!

Thanks everyone, I don't even use a mobile so going "Mobile internet " is a leap in the dark for me

Back