Wide "secret" drawer in Victorian chest of drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what forum to post in, as it's woodwork related, but something I bought rather than made.

I picked up what I believe is a Victorian veneered chest of drawers from Facebook marketplace for the outrageous sum of £50 quid.

The top drawer - which isn't obviously a drawer at first glance - will only open if you release a hidden spring catch.

My question is - can anyone shed any light on its purpose? If it were smaller, I'd suspect jewelry, trinkets, love letters etc, but it's the width of the entire piece.

Possibly to avoid offending delicate Victorian sensibilities re ladies' undergarments? Or just a novelty design feature? I can't imagine it would fool a hardened Victorian housebreaker.

Much obliged.

Attachments

• Drawers.jpg
    Drawers.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 133
The secret isn't the compartment as it is obvious there is unused space at the top above the drawer with handles.

The secret is how it's accessed!

I think it has to be the entire width of the piece or else the joint lines however good, would give it away, Not really sure why it’s so high though when it could have been disguised as a top moulding.
I try and put a secret compartment in most of my furniture, it’s just something I enjoy doing and I like to stretch my brain with ingenious mechanisms.
it’s also great fun disclosing its existence to the client. Ian

Thanks all. The photo is flattering - it hasn't been shown much love, but I like it and certainly worth what I paid.

And I had been struggling to come up with a wardrobe design I was happy with, so will now make something to match (or at least compliment).

The need for it to be the whole width hadn't occurred to me - doh!

The Victorians liked their little secrets. Lingerie, love letters, photographs .........who knows ? I think it would fool the average nosey parker. ;)

Victorians weren't above enjoying a novelty/gadget just for the sake of it as we are today.

When I was first married we had most of the furniture donated from relatives which was the norm back then, one was an old oak sideboard, nice condition as my then wifes grandmother had lovingly polished it for many years, we used it as a kitchen cupboard and we had it for several years until I finally got enough money to do a fitted kitchen
I then lent it to my brother as he was in between houses and needed furniture of any sort, he used to deal in second hand furniture and showed me a secret compartment that we had no knowledge of, in it were two crowns, I often wondered if grandmother knew it was there
This was accessed by removing a drawer and putting your hand along the top of the rail between the two drawers it had, press down a little panel and it sprang out sideways, quite ingenious really

I found one in an old bureau. Little corner brackets in the top corners of a cubby hole - one of them was the front of a little drawer just wide enough to put a pen or pencil in. There was a silver propelling pencil in it - obviously had been there for a very long time!

I found one in an old bureau. Little corner brackets in the top corners of a cubby hole - one of them was the front of a little drawer just wide enough to put a pen or pencil in. There was a silver propelling pencil in it - obviously had been there for a very long time!
We have an old bureau as well with about six of these ‘secret’ drawers. I’ll probably find another soon!