Wide blanks of various thicknesses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am from East yorkshire.

I didn't know this forum existed until a peer of mine from the U.S.A forum suggested I put my question to this forum.

I have difficulty obtaining hardwoods of various thicknesses in the U.K. The states have what I want but comes at a high premium because of the shipping charges wich amounts to nearly the same as the cost of the wood. Does anyone know of anywhere in the U.K. where I can obtain hardwoods ready prepared for scrollsaw projects. Would be grateful for any advice.

Harry (East Yorkshire)

This is my second attempt at posting hope this one works.

hi and welcome, this post certainly has worked cant help you with this question. sure someone who can will be along soon

adidat

Hi Adidat and Mick ,only two replies to my question so far, Thanks for the info on birchwood ply, will try. Have you heard of Arnold Laver in Hull they do various hardwoods but unfotunately it is rough sawn you have to get it cut to size yourself an resawn and planed e.c.t. I dont see much evidence of people showing their projects would like to exchange ideas.

Harry,

Might be worth a phone call and a visit to John Boddy at Boroughbridge. not that far from you (I used to live near Beverley) and you could always make it a day out by dumping the family in York on the way :lol:

They are major hardwood dealers although whether they would prepare for you is a question you need to ask.

It's a few years since I last visited but they did have a large well stocked self service shop and a huge timber warehouse with a vast array of hardwoods for self selection. I spent many a happy hour in there in the past.

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/index.html
You can download catalogues here as well.

Edit - page 26 of the blue catalogue shows a pic of the self selection hardwood warehouse. haven't had time to look properly - Only thing I would add is take your credit card as you'll definately spend :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers

Bob

Further to my last post, I posted a link to JBs catalogue and one of the other members posted that he visited recently and was very disappointed so I think a phone call is advisable before any visit.

cheers

Bob

Hi Harry
Welcome to the forum. I got some 6mm Baltic birch ply from Lavers in Hull a year or so ago but not sure if they still do it?
Steve

Hi Harry

I'm also new to this forum, when i found your post it got me wondering what it is your looking for? size , thickness ,wood type etc.
I run a small furniture making workshop and often prepare wood for people that called in. I know that I'm not very local but there must be cabinetmakers in your part of the world?

Hi Everyone.
This is my first post on this site. I'm new to scroll saws and have had the same problem finding different types of hardwoods to cut. My hobby until recently was woodturning (I had to it give up) and I bought all my wood from a guy up in Scotland. I know he's a long way away but the wood he supplied was excellent and cheap enough to pay the delivery charge. He has a wide range of british and exotic woods and is happy to quote over the internet. I don't want to break any rules by advertising in my first post, so if anyone wants the web site/email address please email me.
Cheers
Roy

www.slhardwoods.co.uk do various hardwoods and also some project packs. They also sell veneered ply and MDF in quite a wide variety of finishes, which might suit. You can order online, but obviously delivery would cost. Hobbies (as mentioned above) also have some hardwood packs.

Back