Why UKWorkshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Why are you a member of UKWorkshop?

I joined because I have a genuine interest in woodwork and had/have many questions about the subject, I also like to help people (if I can).

I would be interested in your reasons for joining.

Baldhead

I joined because I wanted to take my knowledge of woodwork to another level. I have not been disappointed, and would like to thank all the good folk on here that have been kind enough to give me a gentle shove in the right direction

I joined to get some advice on cleaning up my Scottish Infill plane and the best way to sell it.

scottish-infill-smoothing-plane-help-advice-needed-t69147.html

Over a year later I'm still here and so is the Scottish Infill. Suffering from a serious case of the infill bug now and working on 3 bronze castings and a few other bits and bobs. When the castings are done I'm planning on making one completely from scratch.

I blame Richard T, Jimmi43, rxh and many others for showing members on here what a bit of metal and wood can be transformed into.

I like to help others sometimes i sometimes buy thing and i do not know what they are but the main reason is Jo 90 is not running this forum

Just a great bunch with a wealth of knowledge and very very friendly :D :D =D>

I joined after inheriting a lathe and came looking for lathe operating advice 101. I was greeted with helpful advice and offers of help. Over time there have been offers of free wood, tool sharpening and loads more. As I have learned hopefully I have given back. Great bunch, some now no longer here (in both sense of the word) but new people to take up the reigns. long may it continue :)

+1. It was a foray into turning that caught my eye. I think I'd googled a how to on something basic and the search led me here. I ended up stalking for quite a while because I didn't particularly want to look like a . with my near total lack of knowledge at that time. But I needn't have worried because there is a general camaraderie of spirit here with many very knowledgeable folk quite prepared to help the less experienced. As my skill evolved a little, so in turn I am happy to pass that on to people just starting out. I think the real advantage to special interest group forums over other forms of knowledge (like books) is the interactive nature. It becomes a dialogue that can really open up a subject. The learning is much more moulded to your personal circumstances and because people are so downright generous with their time and knowledge, it works really well.

After a long period of silent lurking it felt rude not to join in; and of course there was the added attraction of being able to get front row seats to fascinating discussions on the best tools and the best way to sharpen them... :wink:

i joined because i have a lathe - i enjoy seeing the turning others produce the ideas they come up with and the help they have given me. i have also enjoyed showing a few bits of my work and getting the critique of others.
however i am in awe of some of the craftsmanship and knowledge shown and shared in all the forums - i love the wips shown in the forum.
=D> so thank you to all members of the forums whose contributions make the site what it is. =D>
cheers paul-c

Baldhead said, QUOTE:

I joined because I have a genuine interest in woodwork and had/have many questions about the subject, I also like to help people (if I can).

UNQUOTE:

I can't put it into any better words than those really, except that I'd like to add that:

1) With VERY few exceptions the attitude and friendliness of members here, plus the "atmosphere" of the whole Forum is markedly better than some other Forums I have frequented in the past - without actually meeting anyone here face to face I feel I've made several genuine friends since joining, and;

2) I've also learnt a helluva lot in the process (NOT very hard in my case!)

Thanks to the site owner, to the Mods, and as above, to about 99.9% of all members. Long may it continue.

Krgds
AES

Yes Ben; it is, and I joined :

Because my time was becoming limited due to niggling health problems. It was another way of 'keeping my hand in' and making contact fellow woodworkers, adding to what knowledge I had/have. I hope I have been able to help too, in some small way.

Thank you all.

John

As with most things I've done , I came in bass akwards. My daughter is heavily challenged and I wanted a hobby that was safe and we could share. While looking for something or other on that auction site , found a rusty lump purporting to be a plane. The price was minimal so I bought it, impulsive style. On arrival I took it downstairs with daughter following on my heels. As I rubbed the nasty lump on abrasives my daughter wanted to help. That nasty old Shelton with totally useless but highly amusing adjuster system still sits on display on the bookshelf... shiniest Shelton in existence probably. When she carried it upstairs to show to Mum you might have thought she was carrying the Holy Grail , so proud! And so a hobby was born. But now I felt the need to find out more about what I was doing . Enter the forum, and a good long lurking. I was so impressed by the depth of knowledge and rather more importantly the friendly and courteous members that I joined up. Never regretted it since. Now I'm actually making crude little oddments with my ever swelling kit of hand tools and considering a somewhat radical variation on a bungee bowl turning lathe. Still sussing out the details on that one. Why UKW? because it is simply the best bunch of loveable loonies I've yet run across , To whom I now tip my mug and shout CHEERS!

Baldhead":1zhi3q7a said:
I would be interested in your reasons for joining.

Baldhead

I'm happy just being a member, this is my longest run without being kicked off ............ :lol:

Mostly to irritate people. I don't manage it frequently enough for my liking. Slainte.

Joined to learn, keep visiting to learn and comment. Too idle to make a lot but what I do make is improving as a result of this forum.

Back