Why do I get condenstation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's alive an well Mike, but don't forget I'm still here! :lol:
I'm in the middle of a debate on the PVs on another forum and have just been explaining the economic problems etc.

Roy.

Mike Garnham":m1cc7f2q said:
The heating is intermittent (just when someone is working in the shed), so ventilation can be shut off at that point. When the shed is empty, the ventilation does it's stuff (ever so gently........we aren't talking gales here). As an aside, every house has the "heating V's ventilation" issue.......typically with trickle vents over windows being open at the same time as the heating is on. There are extract fans available with heat-exhangers built in, designed to move the air but not take the heat out of the building, but that would be over-kill in my view.

Mike,

Can you recommend any good reading matter on the subject of building heating, insulation, ventilation et al. that is good for a lay person to read? The more I read about this on the forum the more I want to know the 'hows' and 'whys' of insulation design.

The New Autonomous House, by Robert and Brenda Vale
Design with Energy, by John Littler and Randall Thomas
Low Energy Design by Action Energy pub. by Interface

and for a simplistic look, but with some beautiful piccies.......

The Natural House Book by David Pearson.

You might also contact CAT (the Centre for Alternative Technology) Macchynlleth, North Wales, who have a fantastic selection of books available. Well worth a visit, too. Inspirational place.

Mike

jlawrence":2r7of2l4 said:
My usage is an average 350kWh per month (very roughly) so to have an excess I'd need to be putting in at least a 5KW system - I'd imagine that the cost of that is going to be well in excess of 20K. So much as I'd love to be less reliant on main electricity it simply ain't financially viable as far as I can tell.
Sorry, I missed your point about wanting an "excess". Current small scale schemes are most cost effective when you're reducing your bill, rather than actually selling the surplus. Typical schemes on the table just now pay 15p per unit generated even if you use it yourself, so effectively you're earning that 15p plus whatever you would be charged by your provider. If you have an old-fashioned meter then if you're generating a surplus then the meter will run backwards, again saving the full purchase price. I assume that if your electricity bill becomes negative, the supply company will quickly smell a rat and you'll find yourself with a more modern meter!

Mike Garnham":to3v6e5v said:
The New Autonomous House, by Robert and Brenda Vale
Design with Energy, by John Littler and Randall Thomas
Low Energy Design by Action Energy pub. by Interface

and for a simplistic look, but with some beautiful piccies.......

The Natural House Book by David Pearson.

Cheers Mike, duely added to the Wishlist ;)

IIRC I remember reading some time back abut someone who installed a computer cooling fan right up in the apex of his gable ended shed to suck out the cold damp air.

Would this be a sensible solution to moving the air around?

Andy

So long as on the opposite wall there was a low level vent to allow air in, then yes. It would better to have some control over the fan......a humidistat or timer.

Mike

Back