Why do I always struggle with staining?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I work hard getting a silky smooth finish but then if I have to stain the wood it all goes wrong, hidden imperfections show up. Current issue is Maple lipping on maple veneered MDF - apart from the previously hidden traces of planer marks showing up, the softer growth rings of the maple are going darker and more patchy looking than any of the veneer no matter how much I sand (worked up to 240 grit).

Can I get some recommendations on sandpaper types, brands, and techniques. Also stains/dyes etc you recommend.

I'm no expert on staining. . . .
You can try wiping on turps to highlight any imperfections, it makes them much easier to see. Allow it to dry (or perhaps not ?) before using stain. I think one of the techniques for even application is to apply water (if using water based stain) to the wood first, then apply the stain.

I dare say be a bit more observant. You can normally see the planer marks. Brush/blow the dust off then tilt the wood under a light and you can normally see all the tooling marks. A good ROS will help.

I tend to start with a belt sander then down to ROS or palm depending on what im doing.

Abrasive brands I use are Norton, RhynoPlus, Hermes.

For even staining use water or a sanding seal first, sand then stain sanding inbetween coats wiping excess off first or use a product that sits on the surface and don't soak in that much like a polyurethane varnish.

use of a decent sanding sealer will improve things muchly :)

I wouldn't use water to show the marks as it raises the grain.

White spirit would be a better choice, although it can slightly yellow some woods
Paint thinners is another similar option, with less yellowing.

I'm getting there. Got very good results on a recent mantlepiece in pine:
- Orbital sand 80 then 120 using Abranet discs.
- Hand sand thoroughly along the grain to 180 grit.
- Wetted it all to raise the grain, allowed to dry, hand sanded again at 180.
- Water based stain
- Shellac as fixative coat
- 2 coats acrylic varnish

Latest posts

Back