Why do folks here so like the FD blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something about the Flying Dutchman blades? I have been fretsawing for over 50 years with Hand frame, treadle and powered fretsaws but I have never had so much trouble with blades snapping since I decided to try the much applauded FD blades.

A couple of years ago I ordered a selection of FD blades from Mikes workshop after reading the rave reviews on here but to be honest I hate using the damn things, they seem to work for a short while then suddenly for no apparent reason *BANG* they go and every-time it happens I practically jump so high I almost hit the ceiling, I am sure they will give me a heart attack one day! they always snap about 3/8" from the top of the blade. I could accept it more if I was doing a very tight turn or something but it seems to happen any-time even on a nice straight cut!

I stopped using them for a while as they drove me mad but this morning thought I would give them another chance but they still snap the same. I normally use the Niqua reverse tooth blades from Hobbies and rarely have any problems with them so why do I have so much trouble with the FD blades especially as some people here say FD blades are made by Niqua?

I may just be unlucky and have a poor quality batch but I don't think I will buy any more FD blades! I have also noticed that some of the FD blades have started to rust which is annoying because I have some original hobbies blades that belonged to my Grandfather and are at least 75 years old and are still rust free!

So what do others think of FD blades? Perhaps members could share their blade experiences? :)

Hi scrimper, I too ordered some FD blades and was pleased with them and didn't have any problems with them until the last lot, around the time when everyone was complaining, I did have quite a few break as you described. So I looked around and found the blades I use could be bought in the UK from several suppliers and made by Niqua (who as you say are supposed to make the FD ones).
I still have some of the FD blades left which are being used up and then it'll be all Niqua blades except for some Olson PGT No.7 double tooth which I save for thick wood, ie over 3/4".
When I bought my scrollsaw over 20 yrs. ago I got a lot of blades from Hobbies (the yellow ones) in most sizes from 2/0 to 9 and still have some left.
happy scrolling
Steve

Funnily enough I gave away a load of FD blades due to the same problems and my mate thanked me..... he too had them break so I wasn't at fault, I think they seem to go in batches as some members use them all the time with no problems. I only use Pegas skip blades for my Intarsias and only use number 3s and the odd 5..... they don't snap they actually get changed because cutting 1" oak all day blunts them but can't complain at that.
Cheers
Brian

Ditto. I was a committed Olson scroller but after hearing rave reviews I also bought a load of FD blades in various sizes and styles - and still have most of them left apart from those that have snapped or show signs of rusting!! They didn't seem very sharp at all and snapped after only a short time. They are rubbish and I would never buy them again or recommend them to anyone.

By comparison, I went back to my Olson blades and found them to be very sharp, don't snap (unless mis-treated) and don't rust.

The Niqua factory is not far from me so to support the 'home team' I recently bought a dozen each of various sizes and types and will be trying them out before placing a larger order. So far they are comparable to Olson and cheaper to buy here than Olson from the USA.

Just my euro's worth.

Barry

Thanks for the replies, I am glad I am not the only one having problems with FD blades, I was starting to think I was doing something wrong. I just hate it when a blade snaps, it always makes me jump sky high!

bodgerbaz":zhc5dtl5 said:
.... and cheaper to buy here than Olson from the USA.

Barry

I swear by Olson and I get them from Woodworks, the prices are decent, are they cheaper than importing?
[edit: Just to clarify: this site sells them in 12s or 144s, many other UK sites sell them in 6s so check your quantities.]

http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk ... p-440.html

1. Why are you wasting money paying over the odds for your blades? That link will sell you PG495 - 5RG (x gross) for £59 (with free shipping).
Wooden Teddy Bear in the USA will sell you the same blades and same quantity for $57 (£40.10) which includes $12 (£8.44) shipping which makes the USA order £18.90 cheaper. The more you buy the greater the saving - Just saying.

2. I live in Germany and that link wants me to contact them to ask how much shipping will be outside the UK. I guess its OK if you live in the UK and wanted to pay top prices but it strikes me as a very old fashioned way of working expecting people to ask how much they charge to ship something.

Barry

I'd not seen the US supplier site so didn't know their rates, that's why I asked "are they cheaper than importing?"

I'll certainly check it out but I use so few blades (the Olsons last forever) I don't actually buy in large quantities.

Back