Why 13 Amps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't you run off 110v?? so therefore the ampere has to be higher?? (i left school a long time ago - hence the question marks)

The original design brief in 1947 was for a new a ring main system connected to a 30 amp fuse with 3KW maximum sockets (3KW = 13amp at 230 volts). Plugs are individually fused at 3,5,10 or 13 amps according to the rating of the appliance.

I'm not sure that 15 amps would have made much difference in that case Dave..... If she won't sit still in the chair you can have as many amps as you like.......

Graham

Dave R":141s08m0 said:
Did you look at the link?

sorry dave i did, was very late and my mind was a blank to what to say about the guys stupidity.

I'm a bit rusty on this one, but harking back to the days of my Plessey apprenticeship (which was a long time ago), I seem to recollect that only a very small amount of current, around .1A is enough to kill if it hits the heart at the right time, the theory being that it's just enough to stop it - Rob

I think the figure is either 0.45Amp or 0.045Amp Rob, probably the latter....can't remember where I came across the figure, but it's odd value stuck with me, even if its order of magnitude didn't; sorry. Sam

I was just wondering about the current thinking about the story in the link. I didn't mean to get everyone amped up on a discussion on electricity. Sorry.

Just read the book 'The Burning Wire' by Jeffrey Deaver, where it's stated that just one tenth of an amp is enough to stop the heart...now that trickles me...ohm up you didn't expect that did you...bosshogg (homer) :lol:

This is copied from a text book I used when I was in biomed school.

Based on 1 second of contact. Frequency of 50-60 Hz

1mA Threshold of perception.
5mA Accepted as maximum harmless current intensity.
10-20mA "Let go" current before sustained muscular contraction.
50mA Pain. Possible fainting, exhaustion, mechanical injury; heart and respiratory functions continue.
100-300mA Ventricular fibrillationwill start but respiratory center remains intact.
6A Sustained myocardial contraction followed by normal heart rhythm. Temporary respiratory paralysis. Burns if current density is high.

These are for "macroshock" situations where the skin is intact. If the skin is compromised by, say and open wound or a wire of some sort (catheter perhaps) microshock can cause V-fib and death at currents as low as 10-100 µA (micro Amps)

It's really quite a sad storey. Forgetting that he tried to kill her, to get divorced at age 60+ is a tradgic thing to happen.

I'm 46 now and wifey is 48. Been together for 28 yrs. Still working hard to make ends meet. The mortgage still crippling our bank balence. No holiday for last 5 yrs. Our son still at home but full time uni and part time working. Snatching whatever spare time I can to 'play' in the workshop or work at SWMBO's wish-list.

At 61 I would be looking foreward to retiring (not resting!!), the end of my mortgage, my son off my hands (don't mean that nastily!!), some quality time with the wife, maybe that luxury holiday we always promised ourselves, visiting my son's family on Sunday to see the Grandchildren (WITH MY WIFE!!). In short, reaping the reward of 60 yrs graft (inc schooling).

A divorce then would be devastating. Both financially AND emotionally.

I don't know how I would react. Though I'd hope I wouldn't do something that drastic.

Roy

I think that around 40 milli-amps is where things get iffy hence why RCD's are normally set to 30 mA but don't take this as gospel.

Steve

Back