Who's in the news today?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard9999

Established Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know who the Buckinghamshire based furniture making business being featured on BBC news today in their piece on the Bank of England's inflation forecast is?

Terry.

Terry,

Sorry to hijack your thread but did you see my PM? I was hoping for some advice from you regarding shed doors before i start on mine this weekend.

Cheers

Fitz.

Fitzroy":6a6uiiq5 said:
Terry,

Sorry to hijack your thread but did you see my PM? I was hoping for some advice from you regarding shed doors before i start on mine this weekend.

Cheers

Fitz.

Don't understand Fitz, sent you an answer yesrterday mid afternoon. But copied below as well.

Terry.

=====

Fritzroy

Sorry to have missed your questions on TheWoodHaven2, I am still active there.

First of all, I am very happy with the doors and glad I made them as I did as I am sure they help keep the workshop as warm as possible during the winter.

To answer your questions.

1. Were the doors hideously heavy or did you find them manageable to handle and hang?
There were heavy, but I hung them with the help of my wife. Neither of us are what you would describe as power lifters. So as long as they are not dramatically bigger than mine you should be OK. I just popped out and measured them and they are 2.1m by 0.9m each.

2. You've got them on t-hinges, has this worked out ok?
No problems at all. The hinges are nothing special, just standard t-hinges from Wickes and not even the heavy duty ones which I think are galvanised rather than painted black. The hinges are abut the biggest I think Wickes make at 450mm. I know some others have gone to the length of bending the hinges, I am lucky in that we live in a low crime area so I never felt the need to do anything like that.

3. Have they maintained their shape, or have then dropped at all? I'm thinking about also adding an internal diagonal brace, but not sure it will add anything as the OSB is already performing this function.
I had a close,look when I went out to measure, as far as I can tell there has been no movement at all. They are not perfectly straight, but that has been the case ever since I hung them due to my lack of competence. I think the OSB does all you need to hold the frame square. The skin on one side of one of mine is a single sheet, but the other three skins are made up of a couple of pieces of OSB and this still seems to have been fine.

One thing I would add is that because they are so chunky getting a leading edge that allowed them to pass each other and close but not leave a massive gap between then was a faff. The way I resolved this was to have a full height length of tile batten on the two doors so that these were the two sections that meet. This means that on the door with the batten on the outside you need to allow for this for the OSB skin.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Terry.

Back