Who's going to Sywell?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderchad

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if its been asked, but just wanted to know if others are going to Sywell this weekend. Being in Oxford its quite easy for me to get to but I wanted to know if its worth the trip even if its just for the car boot sale - like I NEED more tools :roll:

I am going mainly to sell my excess Triton gear on the car boot sale. Last year there were only about 6 people selling. I am told they are selling off their handheld power tools as they are getting out of Dewalt and some other ranges. Their flyer shows demonstartions by Scheppach,SIP,Delta Jet, BrimarcTrend,Triton and 5 more.
Last year they tell me that 600 attended.

Hi Barry

Barry Burgess":1l8z5v9c said:
I will PM you so as not to get the moderators' backs up

There is no problem with an established member listing the personal items that they have for sale as long as they are not trading. Charley kindly allows private individuals to use this forum for private sales.

The major problem we have is with new members whose first contribution to the forum is to offer to sell someone their tools/machines. There are very few rules on this forum, but all of them are there for a purpose.

The only income that this forum receives is from advertising. If it is to continue then it needs all of the advertising income it can get. All moderation, on the advertising front, is only trying to secure the long-term future of this forum.

Cheers
Neil

I'll be going to Sywell, just not sure which day yet as it seems to be on for 2 days - is one day likely to be better than the other?

Dennis

Hi Dave

The challenge for all members is to keep this forum running.

davejester":34igi6u1 said:
I've seen this 'funding' issue come up a few times recently. What exactly does the forum need funding for? I understand somebody has paid for the domain name and the hosting but I didn't think that cost a lot. Maybe I'm wrong as my website only requires a low bandwidth allowance.

I do not know what the figures are, but the costs are down to the amount of bandwidth used.

Is there anything else which requires funding?

AKAIK, no.

Also it would be good to hear what sort of money is made from advertising (especially google - the one I find most annoying). I very rarely click on an advert and if I do it is just a quicker way of getting to a site rather than googling to it or typing it in.

I do not know any detail, apart from the income not covering the expenditure.

Would be good to hear a little more about the work required to run a site like this.

How long have you got? :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":39qwn25t said:
Hi Dave

The challenge for all members is to keep this forum running.
Neil
I am at a total lost for words The Australian woodworking site is thriving with a population of about 1/3 to 1/2 of ours. The number of groups is about 6 times as many as ours and the moderators let you get away with much more and I have never heard them say anything about keeping the forum running??
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/archive/index.php/

Bandwidth and server space adds up when you have a load of members - I have no idea what this place uses, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cost at least £100 a month to keep it up, never mind the time.

Looks like Sywell is going to be a pretty empty place then :D

To get back on thread, I'm going to try to get there on Sunday.

Sorry to take this off topic again (we'll have our Sales Manager Mark at Sywell doing his stain demos by the way) I think the answer to Barry's last comments is contained within the web address of the forum he has mentioned... I would guess that the forum is commercially sponsored and probably run by one company, which whilst it may take care of the money side of it could (and I'm not saying does) have implications for its impartiality.

Thought I might go along as its not too far from me. probably be saturday though.

Gav

Terry Smart":34ybmn7x said:
I would guess that the forum is commercially sponsored and probably run by one company, which whilst it may take care of the money side of it could (and I'm not saying does) have implications for its impartiality.
Terry I totally disagree - the site is much freer than ours - the answers you get don't get the moderators in the mix like ours
Their site works does ours?????

I'll be going to Sywell on saturday
I will be on the west northant's woodturners stand
chris

Sorry to go off topic again :p

Looks like I'l be going to Sywell on Sunday now as Saturday has filled up with work etc. Looking forward to it but hope to be home again before the grand prix :)

Dennis

Barry Burgess":1h5sphiu said:
Terry I totally disagree - the site is much freer than ours - the answers you get don't get the moderators in the mix like ours
Presumably your basing your knowledge that the mods on Ubeaut are "much freer than ours" because you don't see any evidence of their activities on the forum? How d'you know they aren't even more draconian than here and immediately delete any dissent instead of giving the membership the opportunity to be a pain in the posterior? :wink:

Erm, topic... Er, where's Sywell?

Cheers, Alf

Personally I believe this forum works very well. Its very informative and people are helpful even when you ask what might be a very simple question.

Gav

Alf":11l1yrhl said:
Erm, topic... Er, where's Sywell?

Too far for you to visit with out a pack donkey. :roll:

I was thinking of trying to get along but other events have changed my plains, I hope you have a good time there, a report of the event would be good. It looks like Woodex will fold so this could be a definite for next year.

Back