Who needs a Legacy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Chas.
I know how he feels.I think :shock:
I only made this little table with barley twist legs,and this was enough for me. :roll: I was enjoying it till the sanding started.
My fingers,wrists,forearms,shoulders,and neck were aching for days.Loads of sanding by hand :(
Just one of those projects that once started you have to finish.
I think i gave in a little near the end,and sort of rushed it :(

Paul.J.

Nice table Paul, and your right. Spiral work is one of the most labour intensive parts of woodturning, cutting as well as sanding (IMO).

I suffer from arthritis and use power sanding as much as possible so if I have to do a largish spiral I tend not to do any more than a double twist so as I can sand it while the lathe is running. Then I just run my hand along the spiral, also I confess to using very coarse paper to start, usually 60-80 :oops: so it cuts the saw and tool marks easily and blends the shape reasonably quickly.

This youg fellow did a real nice work and din't go the router way!
Sturat Mortimer would be proud.
I love spiraling, but it is a lenghty and painful process, that's why I always have several in the pipe, because sanding is kind of a realy boring work.
But...
when you are finished with hell you feel like you are in paradise admiring what came out of your work :)

Back