Who can identify this timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's certainly spalted and it looks to be fine grained. So that leaves out the open pore timbers like ash and oak. What was the bark like? Is there any of the "flecking" you'd associate with beech? How wide were the planks? And which part of the world are you in? I'm trying to discount beech and I'm thinking about sycamore or maple (maples are rare in the north of England, hence the question). Never seen a spalted fruitwood, but fruit trees are a bit thin on the ground up here (they don't like the cold or the wet and personally, some days, I can't blame them!)

Scrit

The planks are about 1 1/2' wide maximum but only have one waney edge so hard to tell exactly.

I had a thoght about sycamore, spalted like Scrit.

But not totally sure...

May make a little vanity seat with lift up top with some of it, what do you think...

Marky

No doubt about it, it is spalted beech. I will stake my life on it.
It is exactly the same colouring that we get up here in the north of Scotland.

Cheers

Mike

I favour beech, too. The bark looks right for beech - grey and relatively smooth. I'd like confirmation on the flecking, though

Scrit

I'm not so sure it is beech, I can't see any of the usual flecking which is a characteristic of beech, also if you look at the third picture (timb2) the bark is in quite small segments wheras beech thends to remain in larger smooth sections.

I've just dug out a couple of lumps of apple, although not as spalted it looks quite close and the bark is about right. But that would be quite a big apple at 20"+ diameter. I have also got a small amount of spalted pear but that looks a dit on the grey side although grain and bark are OK and that came from a tree of the right size

Sycamore/plane/ maple are also a possibility.

Jason

i'd say sycamore,size sizes would be right for this, apple has distinct heart wood, so not that. i'd say use it and enjoy :D

I wrote:

No doubt about it, is is spalted beech. I will stake my life on it.

:-# "My Last Will and testament" #-o

Being of unsound mind i leave my workshop and tools to,,,,,,,

I did not really look at the bark that closely last night, but now in the cold light of day i must admit that the "bark" itself does not look entirely like spalted beech.

Having said that i am still pretty sure that it is.

I keep on saying it, i have just got to get myself a camera, because i have about 15 cubic feet of this stuff in my workshop, and it is exactly the same colouring and patten.

Cheers

Mike

Here's the start of the vanity stool.

I had a customer ask for one and the plank I planed out yesterday I thought was beech.

It obviously isn't. Its lovely and what a grain pattern. i've got to finish it before tomorrow as I go to visit the outlaws in Kirkcaldy on Saturday.

Anyway, here it is half finished - and guess what, shes gonna paint it.....

sacrilege

Marky

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laguna ... pg&.src=ph

Spalted Sycamore - planed up some about a fortnight ago ....just like your stuff, pinky beige tint to the wood - bark looks right too.

Where's this farmer, has he got any more ?

Chris.

Sycamore, one of the maples or plane going by the wood colour in unstained areas and the staining, the grain pattern and particularly the bark that's flaking off in irregular patches. Slainte.

Back