Whittling Beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eximius

Reaction score
I've recently got into woodwroking in general, I used to be semi-proficient and always enjoyed woodwork at school. But since coming to university I haven't had any access to any materials or tools. I've been considering taking up woodcarving for quite a while because it seems like something I can do sitting at my desk and wouldn't require me to carry too much tools back and forth from uni.

So I ordered a flexcut cutting knife and some blank lime carving blocks off the internet a few days ago. I've been playing around with them for a bit but I'm already feeling as if I'm lacking the right tools. I had read online about beginning with wood carving and many recommended simply getting a cutting knife. But I seriously can't comprehend how anything more than a very general shape can be achieved with one.

For example I was trying to carve a pattern that I found online earlier. I traced it onto the wood with carbon paper and began to try and outline the shape, but I'm finding it extremely difficult with the cutting blade.

Is this just because of my lack of experience or do I need a proper set of tools?

I've found these two online:

[I can't post links because my account is new]

5 Piece Japanese Woodcarving Set from axminster website

Flexcut SK106 5pc Craft Carver Set from amazon website

But they seem to be more 'chisel-like' than 'knife-like'. I want a set that I could use just sitting at my desk. Or am I wrong on this? Should I get one of these sets and a small clamp or something?

I'm utterly confused at the moment and obviously need some guidance #-o

Thanks.

No all you need is this

P1030362.jpg

You wouldn’t believe the amount of stuff I have whittled with that little beauty, just keep it sharp.

Start simple by trying to copy something you have in front of you in 3 dimentions, not from a picture or drawing, and just practice a bit, learn how the grain of the wood behaves, and remember you need to make a space for the wood you are cutting in which to go, and dont try and cut too much of in one go, otherwise your not using your blade to cut, your just using it as a wedge, hope that helps a bit, whittling can be very rewarding.

I think almost as important in having the right tools, is the art of Sharpening 'em! Even the finest steel in the world, will put you off yr new hobby if it's blunt!

Learning to sharpen isn't an overnight skill, so do please keep at it! Some people get really quite 'anal' (fetish-like!) over their preferred method(s), so do read up and learn. Certainly a halfway decent stone / slip stone is necessary at the outset, and probably a leather strop (--so you can get stroppy!) :oops: and possibly a way to 'mirror polish' (buff) afterwards? That way you can really enjoy the process (and make amazingly clean cuts in yr fingers when something slips!) :!:

I presume you've checked out all the old patterns which can be done just with a knife, as in Chip Carving?

I haven't done much carving of late, but used to love using my Pfeil (Swiss) carving chisels, = wonderful steel!

Apart from the lime, see if you can get some nice fruit woods, maybe apple or pear? (but beware cherry, at first, which can be *really* hard!)

Lastly, just a thought: 'wittling' away with a knife ain't too noisy, but tap-tap-tapping away with a mallet and gouge could really get on yr neighbour's nerves?? (hammer)

eximius, you're in for fun. These may help.
Here is a step by step tutorial in images:-
http://www.foundwoodcarvings.com/woodca ... lasses.htm

Whereas here is the first of an inspirational series of videos by Gene Messer:-
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/v ... owboy.html

Gene's work really grabbed me, he uses very few different knives and shows just what can be done.
Please watch at least some of Gene's work before you buy any more knives. I have read of folk doing tremendous work with the ever present Stanley knife. No need to sharpen those, although I would use the Irwin blades for the flexibility.

Have fun, let us know how you get on.
xy

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I'll stick with my cutting knife for now. I've actually been carving away to make a little smoking pipe, I don't know why but I've always liked wooden pipes even though I don't smoke, they're just nice shapes in my mind. I'll be uploading pictures once it's done. I think I'll research how to treat smoking pipes and whether or not lime can be used.

I was carving away in the garden today, listening to music and enjoying the sun. Absolute relaxation, almost like meditation :p

Back