White Oak Box - 'Neader' built

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanA

Established Member
Reaction score
After spending over a year on it I've finally finished my first 'proper' woodworking project. I was fortunate to have the guidance of my Grandpa who used to build his own furniture, worked as a college crafts teacher and did letter-cutting on the side to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I bought the timber - a single waney edged Oak board - for this on my 22nd Birthday (2/2/2012), so it's taken me over 18 months to complete. As well as learning how to work the wood I had to clean/restore a lot old tools (including learning to sharpen saws! :shock: ), so it's been quite a learning process. Not a single power tool touched it since I got it home, though it was planed/surfaced at the wood-yard.

There are a couple of little imperfections on it that I can see (tool-marks, gaps etc.), bits that aren't quite square or straight, and a few bits I'd do differently next time - but overall I couldn't be happier with it. Now to plan the next project...

And all loaded up and ready to go:

Very best,

Duncan

excellent. well done. I particularly like the carving on the top. What finish did you put on it? Was it American White Oak?

Wow - I can see where the year went; not on doing the work, but on learning the techniques to do the work.

Impressive.

BugBear

Thanks chaps.

marcros":1n15b5d3 said:
excellent. well done. I particularly like the carving on the top. What finish did you put on it? Was it American White Oak?

The thicker stock is European White Oak, the thinner stuff used for the interior I'm not so sure about. I picked it up on eBay and it was just advertised as Oak - the colour of it is maybe a shade darker than the European White though.

As for the finish, it had a coat of shellac sanding sealer followed by a coat of bees-wax polish. The pictures don't show it too well, but it's nice and smooth with a bit of shine to it.

Very best,

Well done to you both - your Grandpa for his patience and knowledge and you for absorbing said knowledge and using it to good effect

Lovely box

That's a cracking box, my first box wasn't any thing like as good.

What are you making next?

Pete

Racers":26iawrc8 said:
What are you making next?

Pete

Next up I'm planning a couple of trestles/saw horses and then some sort of tool chest.

I've mostly been working with a (lightweight and unstable) Black and Decker workmate and I've had to come up with some interesting solutions to complete some of the tasks required for the box. So for the foreseeable future I think I'll be building up a set of handy workshop appliances (I might even try and build my own workbench once I've built up some more skills/confidence!) to make future jobs easier.

i would build up the confidence on building the bench, and make the tool chest on it. doesnt need to be anything flash, although it can be. It will be much better to work from than the workmate, useful as those are!

Good to be young and having an interest in woodwork, it should never leave you now and provide many happy hours for you in the future, the box is a very good start.

It"s not possible , but I"d like to see what you are making ; in say 40 years time ; That is a credit to you,,

Latest posts

Back