White American Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
You know how it is sometimes, you are talking to a friend and the subject of wood comes up in the conversation and he just hapenes to know someone who knows someone else who has some wood they are thinking of selling, after a week word finally reached the guy who had the wood, which turns out to be American white oak, not just any old American white oak, this oak has been quarter sawn, got the prettiest grain patterns you ever saw. I had a call from the guy and he is selling it by the kilo rather than the cubic foot. I asked him if he could plane it to 20mm thick for me, no problem there. I ended up with 160 kilos, all around 8-10 inches wide. I wont tell you how much I paid for it, let me just say it cost me peanuts. Not often this sort of thing happens. I got a courier bringing it on Tuesday.

Geoff that sounds very exciting, :roll: you work with proper wood more than I have had the pleasure to do so.After your sales recently you are going to be very busy to build your stocks up.

Bryan

Wow! how lovely :) with your flair for putting pattern to wood you will make some stunning stuff, pleased for you :)

Sounds like a great bargain there Geoff.
I've got a few 2" x 1" American White Oak left over offcuts in the garage which I've had for about 7 or 8 years.
I found it significantly slower to cut on the scroll saw than softwood, and I did notice burn marks on the end grain of the wood afterwards. :(

Latest posts

Back