Whisky tumblers -advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might lose a lot of the pleasure of whisky drinking, as mentioned above plus the clink of the ice. If pressed, I might buy some inexpensive, as in as cheap as possible, shot glasses and make decorative wooden sleeves. Need to think that through but maybe sleeves 2/3 height so it's still glass in contact with the human drinkers lips.

If you pursue all wood receptacles, I wonder if wipe on Melamine (chestnut products) or a spray laquer might do it. It's not like a vase where liquid lies there for days on end.

You could test, just a small flat piece of oak or similar with stripes of different finishes, once cured expose them to alcohol. Meths is cheaper than single malt.
Ice, ICE ??
You bounder :)

as a life long single malt fan ….WHY 😱
A good single malt is appreciated for it colour and nose as much as the flavour ….a wood based drinking cup I feel would interfere with both nose and of course you can’t appreciate the colour.
:eek: me Too!

as a whisky lover, the idea generally appals me. However, if I were to make a wooden tumbler, I'd want a wood that is very closed grained and very very dense so that it has as close to a glass feeling as possible. African Blackwood is the first that comes to mind. Of course, that would be a tad pricey, and the prospect of prototyping using such an expensive wood is horrifiying

I would look for a glass liner for your wooden receptacle.
This is what I was thinking. Find some nice glasses and create an oak base that wraps up around the bottom.

Something like this https://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/237511530?$rsp-pdp-port-1440$ and kind of imagine that the wood turning part is pretty much where the brown liquid is. obviously will have a bit of thickness to it but if you could get it really thin to match into the curve like it is part of it, I would think it would look really nice. Perhaps even with a hole in the bottom so when you lift the glass the light comes through
although perhaps not what the OP is aiming for.

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk/bodrighywood/prod_8013918-Medieval-Style-Goblet.html

Mention here of a 2 part lacquer, so presumably some sort of epoxy resin

Needs to be resistant to alcohol, which i dont think epoxy is.

I was looking to make a hip flask from a bowling ball, but i needed to hollow out and then join two halves together and thought epoxy would be idea,l both to seal it and join the two halves, but was informed it wasnt food safe where alcohol is concerned.

I think most drinking goblets were left unfinished. The contents will be absorbed, but after time that matters less if its the same thing its being used for.

So a friend has asked if I'd be able to turn a set of whisky tumblers for another friend, both of them are also colleagues, preferably from oak, I've said I'll look into it before accepting so here I am, a few questions
1- end grain/side grain does it matter?
2- I've seen a couple of YouTube vids of people scorching the inside but not give detail on how scorched and how much cleanup is done after
3- finish, would no finish be best or would you guys recomend something?

Any other advice???
Would love to get these right
Most whiskies have a very delicate finnishing process desinged to give just the right flavour. Most have already been in an oak barrel of various types...again to give just the right flavour. Putting it in an oak cup will add another level of flavour that you will not be able to control..... it will depend on the whisky...how much water (no ice) is added.....etc....Many coatings will also react...esp bees wax.
May I suggest you stick to glass for your whisky & make some beautiful oak coasters/place mats....with perhaps an oak barrel carved on them.
Slainte mhath

Some of mine :)
20230709_162944.jpg
20220722_160313.jpg
20220611_203801.jpg
20220505_205152.jpg
20230824_180221.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back