Which turning tools to go for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
I have set myself up with a lathe and small set of tools for turning pens etc but want to splash on a good set of full size turning tools to cover face plate turning and spindle turning.

I have been looking at Henry Taylor tools and see they do a "KRYO" range that is HSS but has been cryogenically treated which they say will hold an edge much longer.

What do you experts out there think?

Or does anyone have genuine reasons that I should go for some other make for approx the same outlay?

Details here http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/turn.html

Sets are fine but my preference would be to buy only the tools you'll use (as opposed to need)

There are finite differences between high grade steels chemically/otherwise treated to enhance sharpness durability but I'd suggest that any of the major players tools will stand you in good stead...

I'm an Ashley Iles fan... but I also have a couple of Henry Taylor's bog standard HSS:wink:

I'm with Graham on this, don't buy sets. Only buy what chisels you need, when you need them, and if your not sure which just ask for advice.

I use tools from the 4 major makers, and a couple of the special HSS ones, all do the work I require. So really can't say I have any real preference to any particular manufacturer. Price is often my criteria. :lol:

The six I recommend to people starting out are

3/4 or 1 1/4" Roughing gouge
3/8 spindle gouge
3/8 bowl gouge
1/8 standard parting chisel
1" round nose scraper
3/4" Oval skew

I prefer oval as do most of my customers but it depends on what you want to make If your doing big spindle work get an 1 1/4" standard skew and learn how to use it you could do all you spindle work including roughing down with it.

I recommend 3/8 bowl and spindle gouges because they are the mid size for general work

The larger roughing gouge offers more stability I even use it for pens! so choice comes down to budget

The 1" round nose scraper because for bowl work its more usable than the 1/2" ones that usually come with sets although that would be better for box work.

As you can see its very much about what you plan to make. The brands of chisel I would choose any of the following Robert Sorby, Crown , Hamlet, Henry Taylor, Ashley Iles and some of the Record ones.

What is important is that you get HSS chisels I wouldn't splash out on Cryo steel, Powdered metallurgy or proPM ? ASP steels or even titanium coated just yet. If you like your turning you will probably want more than one of some of the chisels to have different grinds

I'm with the others here and always advise against buying sets of tools. If you are new to turning (sorry I haven't been around for a while) I'd just go for HSS M2 for now.

Any of the 5 manufactuers, Ashley Isles, Crown, Hamlet, Henry Taylor & Sorby offer a good selection. I must admit I have a preference for Hamlet particularly when it comes to bowl gouges because they provide a decent size handle with them. I find the handles on some others too short.

Also bear in mind when picking gouges that each manufacturer may use different profiles for their flutes which each take particular grinds in a different way so it's not always a case of comparing for example 3/8" bowl gouges on cost.

Back