Which tool would I use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, could you help please. I wanted to cut out a square from a piece of mdf but I didn't want to damage either the square or the surrounding piece, how should I go about it. :?:
Davon

Plunge cut with a hand held circular saw is probably the best bet, if you have one.

Cheers, Ed

Ed, I don't have a circular saw but I think I might look into buying one.

Thanks
Davon

Matt, the kerf is all I want to lose, but I want to find a tool that will allow me to cut with precision ( should I get competent enough to use it properly )

Davon

Jake, I've just had a look at a demo about the Fein Multimaster on you-tube...... spot on what I was looking for, now all I have to do is save up.
:)
Thanks
Davon

phantom of the offcut":1y0dsuyc said:
You could always save your tool money and buy another piece of MDF! Must be cheaper than a fein, then you could cut out a precision square to fit in a perfect hole. :)

My thoughts exactly, it's not like you need to match the grain.

A circular saw can't be used for this, would need to be a jig saw to give a square cut at the stop / corner...

Can still be plunged !carefully!

Assuming you don't want to buy another sheet of MDF, and you have already resigned to the fact that you will have a kerf missing. Why not have a wider kerf, and use a router with a template.

Without knowing what you are planning, it's hard to know if this suits or not.

If you must use the same piece of MDF my recomendation would be to use a cicular saw and plunge cut on each side then finish with a handsaw to corners, i often use this method when cutting worktops for sinks and hobs as it gives a far superior finish than a jigsaw. However thats a good 4mm kerf after cleaning up edges, what exactly are you building?

A lot depends on the size of what you are doing, if its 18mm board and a largish square then I would plunge cut with a cordless circ saw (thin kerf blade) and finish the corners by hand.

If its a 100mm square in 4mm thick MDF then I'd reach for my japanese saw with woodpecker tip, would only loose 1mm kerf max.

If there are a lot to do then make a template and rout it out.

Jason

Thanks all for your replies, although on this occasion it is mdf, next time it may be a quality hardwood so I wanted to ask for opinions on the best tool to make the cut on future projects.

Thanks again
Davon

Bloonose":1d1ivbnf said:
A circular saw can't be used for this, would need to be a jig saw to give a square cut at the stop / corner...

Can still be plunged !carefully!

It can if you have a Festool plunge saw, come to think of it if you are careful any circ saw can. I had one the other day a large plasma tv unit and it had to have a flap below the telly. I cut it out perfectly with my ts55 and all you have to do is just finish the corners with a handsaw.

For Davon though this would be an expensive option unless he needs a ts55 anyway.

Latest posts

Back