Which tiny car for a 6ft 4" driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Later this year we are changing our Yeti and will be getting a big 4x4 something like a BMW/TOYOTA for towing etc BUT her indoors also wants us to get a tiny runabout just for local shops and taking the dog down to the beach etc.
Is there such a car that is available in automatic, hatchback/small engine and cheap to buy/tax/insure AND I will fit in for a quick drive if need be......the problem is I am 6ft 4" so it also needs to be roomy inside and have good adjustable seat/steering wheel. I suggested a Mini but she said too expensive to run so is there any cheap alternatives out there?
I used to have a Chrysler 300c which was pure luxury to drive so a micro car will be a shock to my system lol
Cheers
Brian

Mitsubishi Colt hatchback. Not exactly tiny but quite small, there's an auto option, several engine sizes and cheap tax and insurance. I'm not 6'4" but I'm quite big and don't need the seat right back so there’s still a goodly amount of adjustment left. Worth a look anyway.

Hi Brian
I've been extremely surprised by my wife's new Honda Jazz, she had a type R civic before which I really couldn't drive comfortably,
I have no problems getting in and out I'm 6ft1and a bit on the plump side. I've no idea of the running costs or fuel economy, I know she wanted a cheaper car to run all round and the according to her the Jazz is perfect..
It's worth having a test drive, it's worth calling your local dealer to check they have a auto demonstrator, she only has a license for auto cars and dealers don't always have a auto to test drive. I Didnt ask how much it cost to buy, I don't tend to complain about what she has as I have a huge fuel guzzling pickup and don't want to rock the boat especially as I'm after a raptor next.

Nissan Micra has a lot of headroom. They're plentiful with all the options you want and at least worth sitting in to see if you fit.
David

I'm 6'6" and regularly drive an old Nissan Micra. Loads of room. Excellent comfort.

Claymore":2lpj68aa said:
Hi,
Later this year we are changing our Yeti and will be getting a big 4x4 something like a BMW/TOYOTA for towing etc BUT her indoors also wants us to get a tiny runabout just for local shops and taking the dog down to the beach etc.
Is there such a car that is available in automatic, hatchback/small engine and cheap to buy/tax/insure AND I will fit in for a quick drive if need be......the problem is I am 6ft 4" so it also needs to be roomy inside and have good adjustable seat/steering wheel. I suggested a Mini but she said too expensive to run so is there any cheap alternatives out there?
I used to have a Chrysler 300c which was pure luxury to drive so a micro car will be a shock to my system lol
Cheers
Brian

Can't help but I'd reconsider the Mini if just for residual values. Not cheap to buy though.
My missus had 3 in succession but a young granddaughter plus a new labrador pup meant she needed to change her 3 door mini cooper hatch, she cried when we sold it and bought a new Nissan Juke even though top of the range and bright yellow that she chose.
Not a patch on quality and I'm just about to order one of the new Mini clubman automatic models for her. (Should be good for a few new tools methinks :wink: ) the new clubman has loads of room inside and bigger even than the countryman but great fun to drive.

As an aside, I hired a Chrysler 300 top of the range for 5 weeks in the US and loved it though not so keen on our country roads.

Bob

I'm 6' 1" and currently tearing around Tuscanny in a Fiat 500. As long as nobody is in the seat behind you, then it's a fantastic little thing and lots of fun to drive as well as being cheap as the chianti I'm quaffing each day with dinner :D

My son is 6ft 6" with a night club bouncer's build (he was one for several years when younger), his wife is 5ft 4" and as lean as can be.
They both drive the same car which is a small citroen about a dozen years old (dont know the model, but its small) and he has no real problems unless its a 5 hour trip.

I'm 6'2" and big build. My wife has a Fiat 500 and I can fit very comfortably in that to drive it. I wouldn't want to sit in the back but to drive it's surprising spacious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 6'3" and have shoe size 47-48.
My Opel Kadett E manufactured in 1984 (sold in Britain as Vauxhall Astra) has proven to be an excellent small car for a man of my size. I have never come across another small car quite as roomy and comfortable to drive. Most small cars have the throttle and brake too close together so I cannot press one of them at a time. It is usually impossible to brake withouit giving full throttle.
Unfortunately Opel Kadett E are no longer made....... but Volkswagen Golf seems to be a possible subsitute. Take a look at a Golf!

Droogs":2x4xfmcq said:
I'm 6' 1" and currently tearing around Tuscanny in a Fiat 500. As long as nobody is in the seat behind you, then it's a fantastic little thing and lots of fun to drive as well as being cheap as the chianti I'm quaffing each day with dinner :D

I had a 6' 5" friend back in the 60's who used to borrow a Fiat 500 (the original model) that he would drive with his head through the sun roof.

I had a Toyota Yaris for 4 years, did 80k miles and nothing went wrong! It was a very versatile car and I found very roomy but I'm not 6'4". Suggest have a long test drive on whatever you consider to buy.

Regards Keith

whiskywill":6uggfiq4 said:
Droogs":6uggfiq4 said:

I had a 6' 5" friend back in the 60's who used to borrow a Fiat 500 (the original model) that he would drive with his head through the sun roof.

Had a play in a '65 Topolino 500 yesterday, brought a smile to my face but the moder 500 is really good. think for my next run about it will be this one I pick

I'm 6'2" and broad and I drive VW up's on a daily basis, I quite like them really. Also plenty of room in the back for the dog/shopping wile still being a tiny car. Price is good too.

Matt

Although the fiat is roomy I always assume I must look like Mr Incredible in it:

513341a478673cf5ceab97147e623771.jpg

093cfef8be5e645d3292260312c02a8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not applicable, but the worst new car I've driven recently is the Citoen Cactus.

Putting aside the hideous styling (would put me off buying one straight away), the car swayed at motorway speeds, the touchscreen dashboard was clunky, unintuitive and distracting and my size 12 feet kept getting stuck under the pedals.

I can't speak to the size as I am only 5'10" but another vote for the Fiat 500, we bought one for our kids to learn in and I have been using it as a city runabout and love it. Very low running costs and nice zippy little car/ Highly recommended.

Latest posts

Back