Which smoothing plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskymac

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the site, looks like a friendly place.
I am a carpenter/joiner by trade and work both out on site and manufacturing in the shop.
Currently using Stanley or Record planes but am in the market for a new smoother and am considering Clifton, LN and Veritas.
I am looking for something that will work as a smoother in the shop but also out on site for tasks such as putting leading edges on doors after using a planer and general fettling.
Up until now I have used a Stanley No4 but am thinking of going to a 4 1/2, for those of you with any experience of the above planes (in either 4 or 4 1/2), what would be your recommendations?
Thanks. :)

I have both a Clifton and Lie Nielsen 4 1/2 both are excellent. I prefer the clifton irons and for those of you who give a pineapple they are made in Sheffield. Have no experience of Veritas planes but have lots of their other gear and its all very well made.
Bottom line is you couldn't go wrong with any of these, why not see if there are any members near you who would let you try their planes out

Mac

Where are you ? I have a Stanley no 4 & 41/2. Both have been tuned up, mouth filled & tightened & Ron Hock blade & chipbreaker fitted. Wow, what a difference. I have Lie Neilsons & the tuned stanleys work every bit as good as them. Cost me £90 for the 2 blades & chipbreakers & the rest is my time. personally i use the no 4 more.

My new plane is the Ray Iles A5 smoother but you would not dare take this on site, a beautiful plane.

Cheers, Woodguy.

Latest posts

Back