Which show?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobh7

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting to a show at some time this year to get a bit of inspiration and probably buy something new and shiny.
Which show do you guys recommend?
So far I'm looking at Harrogate in November, not a massive distance away from me on the isle of mull (well 5 1/2 hours but its all relative :D )
Would be happy to go further if there's one not to miss further south
Thanks
Bob

I've been to a few shows over the years, and Harrogate is the only one I have made repeat visits to. Definitely a good one, although I've not been to them all as it is a fair trek from North Wales to the southern shows.

A few members of my local turning club go every couple of years and make a weekend of it.

You could also incorporate a few other wood related highlights such as, Axminster in North Shields, John Boddy near Catterick and G&S at Penrith.

Good luck and make sure your wallet is ready!

M

Harrogate isn't all that local to Mull. ;)
I've been to the Neltons show at Ingliston, and I went to the one at Brodies near Dunkeld last year after the Neltons one was cancelled. That was a good day, although not a large scale event, and I've been back to Brodies since. On my last visit I asked whether they would be repeating the show and they are planning on something this year again, subject to being able to interest enough demonstrators and/or vendors.
Last year Mark & Lisa Raby were in attendance and I was lucky enough to watch him work a couple of times.
I'm not sure how you roll, but Brodies has a Caravan/Camp site attached too.

I missed Harrogate last year as we were in Oz but definitely again this year.
G&S would be on the route for you but John Boddy has gone bust I think. Axminster at North Shiels is a nice store but well out of your way I would think unless you fancy a stop over in Newcastle.
cheers
Bob

I go to Harrogate every year. It`s a super show, well worth the visit, but it`s a heck of a trail off the M6, being buried in the middle of the North of England. Just getting from one end of Harrogate to the other is a journey in itself, on account of the stop-start traffic.
I once made the mistake of going down the east coast via the A1. Never again! I thought I`d never get there.
These days, there`s nothing else of any size which is closer to you. The Scottish Show in Ingliston was quite good while it lasted, but didn`t get the numbers attending to sustain it, I would guess.

Thanks guys
Its looking like Harrogate then.
Distance wise, everywhere is quite a long way from Mull so its a trek anyway.
Will probably do it over 3 days/2 nights so there's no rush and can visit a few places/shops on the way back.

dickm":22h3dub7 said:
Reckon Mull is probably nearer to Harrogate than Aberdeen is :( !
Yep you're right
From Oban its 40 miles shorter and a whole 12 minutes quicker to Harrogate than from Aberdeen to Harrogate.
We won't count the 1 3/4 hours that it takes me to get to Oban though :D :D

Back