Which screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
In a bid to look more professional on jobs, i want to invest in a single brand of screws rather than have a 30 different boxes of different brands and varying quality screws.

after lots of uming and arring I am considering ulti-mate 2

Ulti-Mate%20II%202.jpg

These seem good value hopefully more grip than pz2 and generally a good screw

also considering the axminster torx screws.

503317_xl.jpg

just wondered what peoples opinions are and whether there are other brands i should be considering.

thanks

adidat

adidat":x77gx0el said:
...just wondered what peoples opinions are and whether there are other brands i should be considering.
Never used Ulti-Mate, mostly use Spax now, but have happily used Reisser R2 and TIMco (Velocity and Stainless) with good results. An alternative would be to invest in a decent fixings case, so the screws aren't in their original boxes...

mQ5l3TX2CFAQ1tdr1O9Sg8A.jpg

You know you want to... ;)

I used the ultimate screws last year and found they were good. The only thing i don't like is the need for yet another head/ bit type. Yes i know they are supplied with every box, but as i use an impact i find it can chew through some lesser bits. If i need better screws i use either screwfix gold screws / turbo gold screws. :)

That was exactly my plan peter. Just I had some toolstation cheapos and most of them where as bent as a £5 note. So along with being neater more organised, I wanted to be sure I could rely on each size.

adidat

I don't use enough to give much useful advice, although I do use and like the paslode ones from toolstation.

I seem to recall somebody saying that they got very good deals on reiser (spelling prob incorrect) from howdens- and others chipping in to agree on price and quality.

reiser are good, I've only found them expensive though

spax are my screw of choice, I've never found any problems with them. I personally prefer to spend the money and not have to mess around with broken screws every so often. when I see a good deal I try to stock up.

I bought a couple of Screwfix quicksilver selection boxes which were being offered at half normal price. When I checked the value of the screws the saving was even better - had the screws cheaper than normal and good quality metal storage boxes free. Also they were useful sizes, not a load of 3/8" and 1/2" screws that you hardly ever need. It's really handy having a good selection in a box that you can just grab and go. However even though galvanized, Screwfix say they are not recommended for exterior use and they're right because these screws do rust when used outside. So quicksilver screws are perhaps best avoided for professional users, although exterior quality screws are about 4 times the price of quicksilver. However I think their storage boxes are really good, and they look quite smart and tough too.
Watch out for their special offers.

K

petermillard":o9iw7l7v said:
adidat":o9iw7l7v said:
...just wondered what peoples opinions are and whether there are other brands i should be considering.
Never used Ulti-Mate, mostly use Spax now, but have happily used Reisser R2 and TIMco (Velocity and Stainless) with good results. An alternative would be to invest in a decent fixings case, so the screws aren't in their original boxes...

mQ5l3TX2CFAQ1tdr1O9Sg8A.jpg

You know you want to... ;)

And they were on special at slingers , not sure if they still are.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SteveF":3w2dsu0x said:
i like\rate the bullet wood screws from travis

Steve
They are being rebranded as the ultimates above or were last sept/ oct from what i was told in a travis down in Banbury. :)

There similar in design and both use the psd driver bit. Useful as these work with pz2 etc

I've used nearly all the screws mentioned above and think the screwfix goldscrew is the best compromise between performance and price. I rate riesser screw the best though, sometimes I treat myself to a box.

carlb40":1csbzdxh said:
SteveF":1csbzdxh said:
i like\rate the bullet wood screws from travis

Steve
They are being rebranded as the ultimates above or were last sept/ oct from what i was told in a travis down in Banbury. :)

u learn something new everyday

i like them lots anyhows

Steve

I've recently started getting torx screws off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190863679391? ... 1439.l2649

I have a load of the Woodspur ones that Axminster sell, but I find them annoying because they have thread running the full length of the screw - I've never really understood why you'd want that on a screw. I much prefer ones like these ebay jobbers or your Ultimates with a shoulder on them so you can pull things together instead of driving through them.

I've never seen that pozisquare bit before, but it looks good on YouTube. I find torx screws fine once you get to T25 and above, but the T20 slot found on 4mm screws always seems slack and wobbly on any brand I've ever tried, so getting the screw to bite initially can be frustrating one-handed.

I was using reissers when building my extension then discovered the Paslode ones from toolstation liked them but they seem to have very limited stock now
Alan

davem62":1cmxyigs said:
screwfix turbo gold,easy start and self drilling ,making it very easy on the battery life.
hth david

battery life doesn't come into the equation when you own one of these badboys! :wink: (may do a review at some point, its flipping fantastic!)

priklepova-vrtacka-festool-quadrill-pd-20-4-e-ffp-plus-768937.jpg

I thank everyone for your opinions much appreciated, having tried bullets and and thought they were great but pretty dear, im gonna grab a box or two of the ultimates and do some test's may post results.

Out of the three main systems (pozidrive, torx, pozi-square drive) it would seem the last one is best, i would assume torx doesn't work well at an angle, pozidrive isn't the best at staying on a driver bit for single handed use, i seem to remember the pozi-square drive worked well at both and didnt suffer much slip.

only time will tell :D

adidat

Latest posts

Back