Which router for which purpose.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,this question may have been asked many a time before but here goes.
I have finally got some room to start to make a small workshop and i have built a router table and put my Dewalt dw621 underneath.
I am looking to have a go at doing some signs with the aid of a lettering/number template and router.
To cut it short i would like advice on which router to use for hand held use for lettering etc or should i use the 621 and use a different router under the table.
Sorry for being a bit long winded but i hope you know what i mean.

P.S Which templates will be the best buy.

Thank you folks :oops:

For this kind of task, I use the trend T3 which are really cheap, decent quality and easy to handle

I would second that. I do not have one myself but have made many signs and use my Elu 96. It is easy to handle but a smaller router would be much better. I will eventually buy one of the T3 trends for this purpose when I get around to it.

I have a Trend T3 and an old POF 500 same sort of size.
I don't have any templates, I have just printed out the lettering and stuck it on, following it freehand. After a few practise runs on scrap boards it is quite easy to do.
I did chairs for our grand children with their names on the backs, they are still used daily.

dave l is right, the bosch pof500 is great for this sort of detail work.
You can use a fairly cheap router for this sort of work, if you set it up right and put a good bit in, I often use a propower or whatever it is for detail and edging work (cills etc) and it does the job just as well as anything else could.

I actually like the DW621 for hand-held work. Particulary good is the dust extraction system up through one of the columns. For a job like lettering it means that all the waste material is sucked right out of the way so you can see exactly what you're doing.

Ideally your dust hose and power cable should be supported above the work to prevent them dragging against the bench. I have a big crocodile clip thingy hanging from the ceiling on a piece of string for just that purpose.

So I'd use your current router for 'hand jobs' and put a bigger one such as a DW625 or a Triton in the table.

Cheers
Dan

Thank you folks you have been most helpful,i have been looking at templates and they say i need a 13mm guide bush.could any of you folks tell me where i could get one for the dw 621.
Thanks again. :p

Latest posts

Back