which pocket hole jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
can anyone give me guidance on the advantages of different pocket hole jigs on the market. needless to say versatility is important as this will be an ease of use product.

I have the cheapo one from Axminster (it was on offer a few months ago and me and a few otheres on UK Workshop members snapped them up)

Works just fine, but I do it so rarely that's all I need.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/product-Axminster-Deluxe-Pocket-Hole-Jig-35492.htm this one without the clamp and the price was about 25 quid I remember.
Axminster also sell the sqaure headed screws at 2 lengths, I have a box of 500 of each will last me a lifetime.

A dust extraction port would be handy, and I aslo have one of those welder clamp things from Kreg (also from axminster, one point of the clamp is round and fits in the pocket hole you've just drilled, now that is handy (not the clamp shown in the above link - this one : http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=377342&name=kreg&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=4

Tilgear also do one like that for about £25 +vat, that comes as a kit with some screws but on clamp.

I am looking at getting one myself

I have the Kreg one with the extraction port and built-in clamp for drilling. Whenever I get lazy and drill without bothering to connect up the extraction, the drill bit soon gets clogged up and I spend more time cleaning it up before moving on to the next hole. The built-in clamp is great..holds the work securely in place while you drill. So on balance if I was going for a Kreg then this is the one that I'd go for...well worth the extras IMO.

I've got this one and a 6" square driver. Very cheap, easy to use (virtually anywhere) as long as you remember to use a high-speed drill - I use my corded one. I knew that I'd only use it now and again, so this was an easy and cheap intro for me. Impressive, nonetheless. :)

Ray.

Go for the Kreg K3 system so much better than the copies. Its versitle you can use it on part assembled work if you have forgot a hole or two and the dust extraction is not a gimick it does make the holes easier to drill and the drills last longer. The standard of the Kreg drill is very good as well lasts longer than the copies I sell both an the Kreg and the Trend version the Kreg sell at 10:1 verses the Trend even though its more money.

johnnyb":238ely69 said:
the k3 looks great is the master system worth the extra

Yes...but if you can get the basic unit with clamp and vacuum extraction separately then that's the one to go for. The Master kit case is basically useless once you have built up the main unit...unless you want to dismantle it every time. My case just went in the tip!

But having said that if this is the only option then 'yes' I do think it worth the money..if only for the main unit with its' fromt-action clamp and extraction facility. Having the other extras such as screws does give you an idea as to what you really need for the job in hand :D

Back