Which Plane Next

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheshirechappie":xi70vmul said:
I'm not suggesting that pine is an ideal plane-making wood, just that it's a cheap and easy option for a first attempt 'practice' plane. A harder wood sole would make it a much better job.

As to weight - well, some people like a lighter plane.....

Trust me, not pine light. A 2 pound coffin smoother is rough going in hard woods.

It is a good thing to get geometry and proportions down, though.

Just to answer the OP's question, I'd buy and tune a wooden jack plane (£5-10) and buy and tune a pre 1950 Record #5 1/2 or #6 (£30-40).

(this presumes basic plane-tuning and sharpening equipment and skills are available)

This gives a stock prep and small jointing facility; the metal panel plane can be tuned for accuracy (small camber, small set) since the woody jack would be doing the fast prep (more camber, more set).

BugBear

D_W my plan was one,to use it as a template as I mentioned and two, recon it with the young lad so he learns how to do it as well as me.
I am looking out for Record #5 1/2 for the lad but so far they seem few and far between and fairly expensive,more like £50-70 the ones I have seen.
If he is not hung over from Saturday night (stag do) the lad is going to the Boot Fair on Sunday morning as Shed9 suggested,hopefully he might find something there.

Back