Which phase converter for Hammer k3 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBcarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have picked up Hammer k3 winner table saw for a bargain price but it is 3 phase and I only have single phase power in my workshop, I am going to buy a phase converter to run the saw but wondered if a static converter would work or would I need a rotary converter?
Thanks
Mark

Best to use a rotary style... Cost a little more but much more stable and easier to set up. Ring Transwave and ask for Peter or Teal

Thanks for the info guys, I had a feeling the rotary was the way to go i'v seen the transwave units but have also seen a 18month old 2nd hand 6kw rotary boost-energy unit for sale about £300 cheaper than the transwave 5.5kw unit. Is it worth the saving or on this type of kit are you better off buying new and having a warranty?.
Scosarg do those guys work direct foe transwave? Only new transwave kit I could see was at rjw engineering website (or are they the same company?) do you have a contact number for them?
Thanks
Mark

Just rang the transwave number but there closed i'l give them a call on Monday (I see the company is called power capacitors i'l check out there site)

Speak to myfordman on this forum, he supplied me an inverter for my hammer p/t which is 3 phase. Cheaper than elsewhere plus he's a wealth of information and very helpful

Check your existing wiring and circuits as well. Standard RCD's sometimes have issues with phase converters and variable frequency drive type devices attached to a single phase supply. You sometimes need to up the trip amperage a little.

shed9":2aumhvzb said:
Check your existing wiring and circuits as well. Standard RCD's sometimes have issues with phase converters and variable frequency drive type devices attached to a single phase supply. You sometimes need to up the trip amperage a little.
Shouldn't be a problem as I'm rewiring the garage with its own separate db so can easily up the size of the rcbo if required as each machine will be on its own breaker with a separate circuit for wall sockets.

Have been emailing Bob since last night and have decided to go with the inverter route as it seems the most cost effective and fairly simple to install i'l post up when I have the kit and saw installed and up and running. Thanks for all the help and input on this guys

Just use an appropriately sized type c Mcb, Bob will advise the size required in the instructions but I expect it will be a 20amp type c Mcb that you need.
Also pick a decent brand of consumer unit (I used MK) as you often find cheaper ones can be more difficult to get the desired mcb's for, plus your new consumer unit will need to be metal clad as per the new regs that came in in January.

Adam9453":3n6a01ph said:
Just use an appropriately sized type c Mcb, Bob will advise the size required in the instructions but I expect it will be a 20amp type c Mcb that you need.
Also pick a decent brand of consumer unit (I used MK) as you often find cheaper ones can be more difficult to get the desired mcb's for, plus your new consumer unit will need to be metal clad as per the new regs that came in in January.

Bob has said a 32a rcbo will be fine which is what I had already bought for it so that worked out ok, I already have the db it's a Memshield metal unit and I have all the breakers sorted for the rest of the retire so it's happy days on that front just need to find the time to get it done now lol, the saw is coming at the the end of the month and Bob says he should have he inverter sorted by then to do that's also my target date to have the rewire done :D

Looking forward to getting it now, didn't think I'd get one as even the basic was a bit out of my budget, then picked this one up 2nd hand a a great price I was very happy when I paid the deposit :D I could have it delivered sooner but am to busy with work till the end of the month to take delivery #-o

Only bit of advice I can share which may help is to be aware of the safety switch on the side of the saw under the left side of the slider. There is a small knob-type thing that you move down to remove the metal sheet that you need to remove to access the blade. Be aware this switch has three settings and needs to be in the middle for the saw to switch on. This catches a few people out (myself included) because there is so little travel in this mechanism it's easy just to slide it between setting 1 and 3 missing the middle one.

Appreciate this may not make sense at the moment but it will when your new toy turns up.

That is a crucial tip shed9, one I will remember for when I hopefully get a K3 winner comfort saw one day... =P~

My K3 turn up last week but just got it wired up and running at the beginning of the week, and it sings a sweet song :D
I'm very pleased with it glad I got the chance to own this saw, also Bob (9fingers) was a great help sorting me out with a modified inverter to run this 3 phase machine off my 240v supply.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 464
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 463
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 464
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg