Which ones (if any) of these sentences are true?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dannykaye":rp8fma3y said:
Mr G Rimsdale":rp8fma3y said:
It's like being back at school (3rd form). We had a term long argument about who was the greatest guitarist in the world - Julian Bream, Hank Marvin or Duane Eddy.

Have twangy guitar almost has it but my vote goes to ragtime cowboy jew

be serious, everyone knows hendrix was the greatest guitarist in the world

Mr G Rimsdale":2hho79gb said:
It's like being back at school (3rd form). We had a term long argument about who was the greatest guitarist in the world - Julian Bream, Hank Marvin or Duane Eddy.

ANSWER :
None, .. because Rory Gallagher was :wink: :lol:

( and for BSM's benefit there ... when asked 'whats it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world ? Jimi Hendrix replied.. "Ask Rory Gallagher" ) :wink:

Rory was well cool as was hendrix, but I like Stephan Grossman, mind you Stephan reconed the Rev Gary Davis and he was pretty amazing.

Jenx":2tv0y6yb said:
Mr G Rimsdale":2tv0y6yb said:

ANSWER :
None, .. because Rory Gallagher was :wink: :lol:

( and for BSM's benefit there ... when asked 'whats it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world ? Jimi Hendrix replied.. "Ask Rory Gallagher" ) :wink:

Never 'eard of 'im. Was he in Oasis?

big soft moose":3t20ph5z said:
dannykaye":3t20ph5z said:
Mr G Rimsdale":3t20ph5z said:

Have twangy guitar almost has it but my vote goes to ragtime cowboy jew

be serious, everyone knows hendrix was the greatest guitarist in the world

Everyone except the devotees of Django Reinhardt.

Ultimately, Pete, I suppose it depends on your area of musical taste. And anyone who would set fire to their guitar, must have some issues going on! :D

John

RogerS":2rhgqg3y said:
I like that one, Richard.

Here's another. Imagine a treadmill large enough to stick a plane on. Now fire up the planes engines to take off speed and set the treadmill going until it also reaches take-off speed.

Question - will the plane take-off?

NO You are not allowed to ask this question. This question is the forum killer.

I used to frequent a motorbike forum and this question caused more arguments than anything else I've ever seen.

Of course the answer is that the plane will take off as normal. But you try telling that to some people!

RogerS":3b0ip0m8 said:
barkwindjammer":3b0ip0m8 said:
a jet or prop would be thrusting the aircraft forward, its going to move forward and colide with the giant treadmill, the treadmill is in a static position

The jet might be thrusting the plane forward but the tread of the treadmill is going backwards underneath so the plane will remain stationary.

GAH! NO! STOP THR PAIN!!1111111 :lol:

dannykaye":3nk3qe86 said:
here's one that I can never satisfy myself about, an astronaut is floating in space at the centre of a perfect spherical mirror. he turns on a flashlight, what does he see

Unless the flashlight head itself is very carefully positioned at the center of the sphere then eventually all the light will fall back onto the astronaught.

What will he see? It depends on the position of his eyes within the sphere. Basically, everywhere he looks he will see a distorted very of a part of himself.

One example : If one of his eyes is bam in the center of the sphere and he looks directly forward with that one eye only he will see his own black pupil over the whole of the sphere and whatever scattered images are made from the flashlight, which will cause various distorted images of his other body parts to appear.

Pete

PeterBassett":y7zjnzyf said:
RogerS":y7zjnzyf said:
I like that one, Richard.

Here's another. Imagine a treadmill large enough to stick a plane on. Now fire up the planes engines to take off speed and set the treadmill going until it also reaches take-off speed.

Question - will the plane take-off?

NO You are not allowed to ask this question. This question is the forum killer.

I used to frequent a motorbike forum and this question caused more arguments than anything else I've ever seen.

Of course the answer is that the plane will take off as normal. But you try telling that to some people!

lol

The velocity of the plane going forward is equal to the velocity of the treadmill going backwards so therefore the plane remains stationary

Simples

in order for the plane to take off it needs to be travelling forward at speed which the counter action of the treadmill will not allow.

mark270981":1sp73azq said:
lol

The velocity of the plane going forward is equal to the velocity of the treadmill going backwards so therefore the plane remains stationary

Simples

in order for the plane to take it needs to be travelling forward at spead which the counter action of the treadmill will not allow.

Wheat nevers says "simples". It's a chaff phrase.

Jake":14a1zhmt said:
mark270981":14a1zhmt said:
lol

Simples

in order for the plane to take it needs to be travelling forward at spead which the counter action of the treadmill will not allow.

Wheat nevers says "simples". It's a chaff phrase.

well it was for your benefit

Well that's me told.

You're so wrong, the simples will very quickly hit the ton.

I was very nearly pedantic and corrected your grammar, but you beat me to it.

It was intended as mild sarcasm, but it didn't play out and I thought it would just prompt a great big feeling of superiority. Whereas the point is the plane doesn't give a rubbish about its wheels.

nah mate, i'd never feel superior to anyone regardless of wealth, stature or education.

Its a tough argument, think mouse in a wheel, the mouse can never outrun the wheel.

The mouse is trying to put power through its feet through the wheel.

Tie a firework to a treadmill. Result?

put the rocket on wheels, the wheels make the motion, the treadmill counteracts the motion of said wheels.

if the plane had no wheels then i would agree with you.

we could go all night on this.

so probably best to agree to disagree, don't you think?

Latest posts

Back