Which of these chucks is the best buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Every thing I know about woodturning could be written on a postage stamp, infact it would be a waste of a stamp.

So could our resident experts tell me which of these identical priced chucks is the best buy?

1. FOX FX4000 as shown Here

2. Versa Chuck as shown Here

Or should I be looking elswhere?

Significantly more - isn't that always the way! But the Vicmarc VM100 is arguably the best around right now

Hello,
I would go for the Versa Chuck. It comes with 3 different mounting jaws
( Axminster, Oneway, I forgot the third one ). This makes it possible to use a wide variety of jaws from differnet makers.

Horst Hohoff":2lhb9r2d said:
Hello,
I would go for the Versa Chuck. It comes with 3 different mounting jaws
( Axminster, Oneway, I forgot the third one ). This makes it possible to use a wide variety of jaws from differnet makers.

Vesachuck would get my vote. No contest for vesatility and more than sound enough for basic (non production) turning.

I have tried 2 Fox 4000 chucks both were out of balance and wobbled on the lathe. Its a copy of the Vicmarc and even came with photocopied Vicmarc instructions. I used a came across a versa chuchk at a woodturning club they were having problems feeding the jaw carriers back on to the chuck so I didn't use it.

IMO the Vicmarc, Oneway or the Supernova2 are all excelent I havent used any of the Axminster chucks so can't comment on those.

i myself are new to turning but have read lots of posts all over the show ,one of the most promising chucks under a ton/ geared is from the rutlands catalogue and is very similar /identical/to the(record 4000)under scrutiny!!its called a dakota precision scroll chuck and comes with 55mm jaws plus wood screw, im going for it, all the reviews are good even when changing jaws to some others,dont take this as gospel though i get proved wrong often!!

Back