Which lathe to choose Axminster or fox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainee bodger

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new lathe (my first) and wondered if anyone had either the axminster m900/950 or the fox 717.

The axminsters have a good reputation but the motors are only 1/2 HP so I am concerned about them turning any larger bowl blanks.

The Fox seems to have a little bit more umph in the motor but I havent been able to find as much info about them from actual users.

With a budget of about £500 for the lathe alone, any advice is greatfully received

Howard

Welcome to the forum and sorry I cant help on the lathe but there some turners on here that can :)

Welcome to the forum Howard, the general advice, assuming you intend to take turning seriously is to buy the best lathe possible.

Having said that as someone who has only been turning for about 12 months I have a couple of observations to make:

1. A variable speed lathe is something that once used is difficult to see how you would manage without the facility.

2. The Fox717, like the Axminster 900 series and several other brands are all variations of the same mechanics, the more expensive versions having differing finishing/stands and maybe slightly better spec. components such as bearings, but this is very hard to determine. The Axminster perform Range for instance although being cheaper has higher wattage motors than the white range but uses the same tool rests,face plates,centres etc. A look at the respective drive cone assemblies may show if the white machines are any better specked. (the drive belts are more expensive for instance) But if they are £150-200 better only you can decide.

I have the cheap and cheerful Perform CCL and it has enabled me to produce what is in my Gallery +.

No doubt there will be others along to give you guidance on their experiences and machines, several have or have had the 900 series.

The jump from much of a muchness budget models to the next worthwhile upgrade is big, one way of getting a significantly better machine for your money may be to look for second hand, I personally would not be without the variable speed facility and would recommend you aim for it be it mechanical or electronic.

As others have said, there is essentially little difference between these lathes at the business end. All have the same features and same design flaws.
However, saying that, the Fox does have a much more substantial stand, the more powerful motor and is cheaper. I bought the M950, but if buying again on the same budget, I would buy the fox and use the saving for some tools/grinder/etc.

hi

Thanks for all the advice so far more would always be good.

I think from what I hear that the service and support from Axminster is superb and this is swaying me towards the M950 at present. But I would still like to hear from people with both lathes as My biggest concern is whether the M950 ahs enough power in the motor to turn a Nova chuck with a 12 inch wide 4 inch deep bowl blank on it?

trainee bodger":3jwybw14 said:
...snip...My biggest concern is whether the M950 ahs enough power in the motor to turn a Nova chuck with a 12 inch wide 4 inch deep bowl blank on it?

Well My Perform Perform CCL coped with this and it only has 3/4hp motor. I'm not saying that it was not possible to stop the motor whilst cutting but as a newcomer to turning I think this may well have been a blessing for safety reasons and also it taught me a lot about cutting efficiency and tool positioning.

Thanks for all the advice so far keep it coming!!

I am now loking at the Jet JWL1236 because it has a 550W motor (the M950 only has 350W) and everything else just seems better made also I think the extra £60 is worth it for the extra 200W. I am surprised that the M900 and 950 only have a 350W motor. I actualy thought this was a typo but on calling them they said it was correct.

I noticed axminster also sell new motors so wondered if anyone has "upgraded" their lathe to e new motor, Is it OK to do this? or am I in danger of wearing out the belt pulleys etc early?

trainee bodger":3c7vplpf said:
...snip..
I noticed axminster also sell new motors so wondered if anyone has "upgraded" their lathe to e new motor, Is it OK to do this? or am I in danger of wearing out the belt pulleys etc early?

Main problem would be checking that the motor spindle is compatible (900 type I'm talking about) as the shaft is machined to hold the vari-speed drive pulley mechanism. I note that the Drive belt for a 900 series is sold under a different part no. to the Perform and is considerably dearer for some reason.

Judging by the abuse mine has had I do not think belts would be a problem, supplied one failed fairly early on, mainly due to bedding in the cone drives I suspect, the replacement is still going strong, monthly maintenance of cleaning and lubricating of the drive system will pay dividends if you get a machine of this type. (grease & dry PTFE spray).

A replacement motor for the perform is ~£62. and a spare capacitor ~£10. (10mF if anybody needs to know) my capacitor turned it's toes up one month out of warrantee but was replaced by Axminster for the cost of postage.

Mind you I still can't fathom out how british retailers get away with 12 month warrantees when European Standard is supposed to be two years.

Back